Python program that validates an url against w3c markup validator

yaru22

I'd like to create a program that validates bunch of urls against the
w3c markup validator (http://validator.w3.org/) and store the result in
a file.

Since I don't know network programming, I have no idea how to start
coding this program.

I was looking at the python library and thought urllib or urllib2 may
be used to make this program work.

But I don't know how to send my urls to the w3c validator and get the
result.

Can anyone help me with this? or at least give me a hint?

Thank you so much.

Bjoern Schliessmann

yaru22 said:
I was looking at the python library and thought urllib or urllib2
may be used to make this program work.

But I don't know how to send my urls to the w3c validator and get
the result.

Another great alternative is using the Twisted framework:

<http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/documentation/howto/
index.html>
<http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/current/api/
twisted.web2.client.http.HTTPClientProtocol.html>

Once you get familiar with the style of Twisted code, it's quite
easy to many write clients and servers because most protocols are
already implemented and must only be adapted to your needs.

Regards,

Björn

Fredrik Lundh

yaru22 said:
I'd like to create a program that validates bunch of urls against the
w3c markup validator (http://validator.w3.org/) and store the result in
a file.

Since I don't know network programming, I have no idea how to start
coding this program.

I was looking at the python library and thought urllib or urllib2 may
be used to make this program work.

But I don't know how to send my urls to the w3c validator and get the
result.

this should get you going, I think:
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 06:52:33 GMT
Server: Apache/2.0.54 (Debian GNU/Linux) mod_perl/1.999.21 Perl/v5.8.4
>>> print f.headers["x-w3c-validator-status")
Valid
>>> uri = "http://www.cnn.com"
>>> f = urllib.urlopen("http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=" + uri)
>>> print f.headers["x-w3c-validator-status"] Invalid
>>> print f.headers["x-w3c-validator-errors"]
39

</F>

Gabriel Genellina

I'd like to create a program that validates bunch of urls against the
w3c markup validator (http://validator.w3.org/) and store the result in
a file.

Since I don't know network programming, I have no idea how to start
coding this program.

Why not use the standalone validator? You can download and install it.

--
Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL

Correo Yahoo!

Nikita the Spider

"yaru22 said:
I'd like to create a program that validates bunch of urls against the
w3c markup validator (http://validator.w3.org/) and store the result in
a file.

Since I don't know network programming, I have no idea how to start
coding this program.

I was looking at the python library and thought urllib or urllib2 may
be used to make this program work.

But I don't know how to send my urls to the w3c validator and get the
result.

Can anyone help me with this? or at least give me a hint?

Thank you so much.

This article might be of help:
http://www.standards-schmandards.com/2005/massvalidate

"Periodically you may want to make sure your entire website validates.
This can be a hassle if your site is big. In this article we introduce a
few python scripts which will help us do mass validation from a list of
links. We will also modify the W3C validator to work the way we want."

You might also be interested in my validating spider (see my sig) which
will validate an entire site for you but that won't teach you a thing
about Python programming. ;)