python service running on Win Xp, but failing on Win NT Workstation :(

Ringwraith

Hello!

I have implemented a Windows Service in Python. It works on Windows XP
properly and logs in Event Viever any 'started' or "stopped" events.

The problem appeared when I tried to start it on Windows NT Workstation.

The following error entry appeared in Event Viewer while starting it.

"The Purge Log Files Service service failed to start due to the following
error:

The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely
fashion.

Timeout (120000 milliseconds) waiting for service to connect. "

Any ideas what could caused the problem?

I can send the code if necessary.

Thank you in advance,

Nazgul

Giles Brown

Ringwraith said:
"The Purge Log Files Service service failed to start due to the following
error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely
fashion.

Timeout (120000 milliseconds) waiting for service to connect. "

Any ideas what could caused the problem?

No idea what caused the problem. I would suggest you "import win32traceutil",
stick some print statements in early on in your code and start the
"Trace Collector Debugging tool" from the Tools menu of PythonWin.

Hth,
Giles

Ringwraith

maybe another hint ...

While installing I got the error message:

"The procedure entry point RegisterServiceCtrlHandlerExW
could not be located in the dynamic link library ADVAPI32.dll"

Best wishes,

Sylwia -> aka Nazgul

Mark Hammond

Ringwraith said:
maybe another hint ...

While installing I got the error message:

"The procedure entry point RegisterServiceCtrlHandlerExW
could not be located in the dynamic link library ADVAPI32.dll"

Slowly but surely, support for Win95 and NT are being dropped off
(generally in the process of enhancing the framework, as was done for
services in this case). I would accept contributions that fall-back to
the previous behaviour, but I have no problems with suggesting that
people who use a very old OS can also use an old Python/win32all to suit.

Mark.