Python syntax

janus99

well i'm pretty much a newb on python, it's my first comp lang. and
i've been having some diffuclties, i want to get the hang of it and
i'm wondering if u could help me understand the syntax structure.

I messed around with my own comp (windos xp) command prompt and i
currently play a mud, but the python syntax is completly diffrent, i
was wondering if u could expalin how to syntax goes, i've tried the
"hello world" but it keep displaying syntax error, i've tried entering
random commands, e.g find,search, collect,...

Dave Angel

janus99 said:
well i'm pretty much a newb on python, it's my first comp lang. and
i've been having some diffuclties, i want to get the hang of it and
i'm wondering if u could help me understand the syntax structure.

I messed around with my own comp (windos xp) command prompt and i
currently play a mud, but the python syntax is completly diffrent, i
was wondering if u could expalin how to syntax goes, i've tried the
"hello world" but it keep displaying syntax error, i've tried entering
random commands, e.g find,search, collect,...
dorzey's suggestion is good, as is the tutorial available with your
install. Look for the file python-docs-pdf-letter.zip, and inside it
tutorial.pdf
If you didn't download that yet, you can get it from
http://docs.python.org/download
I prefer the pdf form, but your preferences may be different. Just try
to get one that matches the version of the python you downloaded.

The other thing that you need to learn how to do is to cut & paste in
your command window. If you drag the mouse around the command window it
should highlight some text. Then you right click to put that on the
clipboard. Now you can go to some other program (like your mail
program) and Ctrl-V to paste it. If that mode isn't enabled on your
command windows, fix it, although you can manually use the system menu
to accomplish the same thing (which I do when I'm using someone else's
machine).

When you ask for help here, please be specific. What did you try, and
exactly what was the error. For all we know, you weren't even
successful in getting the python.exe program to run at all. So it could
be a path problem, not a language syntax problem. Here's a sample
session. If you can't get this far, show us exactly what you did get.

E:\>c:\ProgFiles\Python26\python.exe
Python 2.6.1 (r261:67517, Dec 4 2008, 16:51:00) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
(Intel)] on
win32
E:\>

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <7dd228af-
I messed around with my own comp (windos xp) command prompt ...

Try a Linux command prompt. You'll learn a bit more that way.

Steve Holden

Lawrence said:
In message <7dd228af-

Try a Linux command prompt. You'll learn a bit more that way.
Great advice when Linux is available, but somewhat fatuous for a Windows
user.

regards
Steve

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Steve said:
Great advice when Linux is available, but somewhat fatuous for a Windows
user.

How hard is it to install Cygwin or download a live CD?

Mensanator

How hard is it to install Cygwin

It's actually quite difficult. Even if you think ahead and
ask that the various compilers are to be installed, that won't
include various utilities like "make" (which are part of a
different install component).

It takes a lot of trial and error trying to get, say, GMP
to compile.