Python + twisted = Raindrop (in part)

J Kenneth King

Terry Reedy said:
Rrom:
First look: inside Mozilla's Raindrop messaging platform

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/...side-mozillas-raindrop-messaging-platform.ars

"The backend components that are responsible for retrieving and
processing messages are coded in Python on top of the Twisted
networking framework."

Ok, front end is html/Javascript, DB is erlang-based....

tjr

There are already developers grumbling about using Twisted.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Raindrop/BackEndRoadmap#untwist_me.3F

I checked out the source myself and looked at the roadmaps and bug lists
to see if there were any patches I could work on. But it doesn't look
all that interesting unless you're into Javascript.

Python is mainly used to fetch data. Scheduling the fetch is left up to
the user/OS. Python is also used for some "extensions" which are
basically document transformation scripts. The extensions are stored in
the CouchDB and are eval'd asynchronously on each document in the
CouchDB. A fairly expensive process to be sure.

Anyway, it's still really early in development so I'm sure they could
use some help. :)

PS: Anyone wanna take a stab at their twisted pro/con list?

Cheers