python2.6 needed as an aptitude package as dependency

Jan Hapala

Hello,

I need to install a program (MACS: http://liulab.dfci.harvard.edu/MACS/) for which I need to have Python2.6 installed.

I do have two other Pythons installed but not this version.

1) So I tried apt-get install... python2.6 is not there as a package (I am running Linux Mint 15).

2) Okay, I added some repos to the /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest testing main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/multimedia testing main non-free

I ran apt-get update... python2.6 not there

3) I downloaded python2.6 as a source tar and compiled it and installed with make altinstall...
Python2.6 is installed. When I enter "python" in the command line and hit Tab, I can see there now all three versions of python.

Still I get the same error:
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of macs:
macs depends on python2.6; however:
Package python2.6 is not installed.

I will be grateful for your suggestions,

Jan

Chris Angelico

I need to install a program (MACS: http://liulab.dfci.harvard.edu/MACS/) for which I need to have Python2.6 installed.

I do have two other Pythons installed but not this version.

Is one of those Pythons a 2.7? If so, MACS will probably run with
that. The only problem is that the dpkg installer doesn't know that
you have the right dependencies. This isn't a Python question, it's a
Debian packaging one, but I happen to know one of the ways to deal
with this: the 'equivs' system. Since you've now installed Python 2.6
from source, you do have it, so all you need to do is make a dummy
package called (or providing) python2.6.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-helpers.en.html

I used this system at work for several packages where I wanted to run
a newer version of something than the repos provided. Saved us a lot
of hassle.

ChrisA

Asaf Las

Hello,
I need to install a program (MACS: http://liulab.dfci.harvard.edu/MACS/) for which I need to have Python2.6 installed.
I do have two other Pythons installed but not this version.
I will be grateful for your suggestions,
Jan

you can try install from source option explicitly specifying python version
from command line. guess for altinstall it should be python2.6
python2.6 setup.py install --prefix /home/taoliu/

https://github.com/taoliu/MACS/blob/master/INSTALL.rst

/Asaf