pythonic backtrace with gdb

Hynek Hanke

Hello,

please, I'm trying to obtain a pythonic backtrace via gdb to be able to
debug deadlock situations in a multi-threaded program by attaching to
the running process.

I'm running the program under python2.4-dbg, When I try to load the
..gdbinit script obtained at http://wiki.python.org/moin/DebuggingWithGdb
, gdb crashes however with the following error (full session listing):

(gdb) attach 10753
Attaching to program: /usr/bin/python, process 10753
warning: no loadable sections found in added symbol-file system-supplied
DSO at 0x7fff575fd000
0x00002b33537177fb in ?? () from /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
(gdb) pystack
/tmp/buildd/gdb-6.6.dfsg.90.20070912/gdb/regcache.c:164: internal-error:
register_type: Assertion `regnum >= 0 && regnum <
descr->nr_cooked_registers' failed.
A problem internal to GDB has been detected,
further debugging may prove unreliable.
Quit this debugging session? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
/tmp/buildd/gdb-6.6.dfsg.90.20070912/gdb/regcache.c:164: internal-error:
register_type: Assertion `regnum >= 0 && regnum <
descr->nr_cooked_registers' failed.
A problem internal to GDB has been detected,
further debugging may prove unreliable.
Create a core file of GDB? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
NeúspěšnÄ› ukonÄen (SIGABRT)

I've also tried to use the backtrace script here
http://mashebali.com/?Python_GDB_macros:The_Macros:Backtrace
But I get a different error:
(gdb) pbt
Invalid type combination in ordering comparison.

I'm using GDB version 6.6.90.

Could you please suggest what can I do to be able to get the backtrace?

Thank you,
Hynek Hanke

Dieter Maurer

Hynek Hanke said:
I've also tried to use the backtrace script here
http://mashebali.com/?Python_GDB_macros:The_Macros:Backtrace
But I get a different error:
(gdb) pbt
Invalid type combination in ordering comparison.

I'm using GDB version 6.6.90.

I expect that your GDB version is too new and has introduced
some safety checks (which now break).

It will probably help when you add explicite type casts to "long"
around the comparisons in the definition of "pbt".

Dieter