Q: serve multiple request in 1 SOAP message?

Lode Leroy

Hello,

I would like to know if it's possible for .NET to handle multiple
requests in a single SOAP message.

I am under the impression that the following SOAP request is a valid
request. However, I do not manage to get a .NET soap service to respond
to it:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<SOAP-ENV:Envelope">
<SOAP-ENV:Header/>
<SOAP-ENV:Body>
<ns1:GetServerVersion/>
<ns1:GetLocation/>
</SOAP-ENV:Body>
</SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

If I only have 1 request, this seems to work.

I have implemented the webservice in C# on ASP.NET,
and it's hosted using IIS on Windows XP Pro.

-- lode

Saurabh Nandu

I don't think you can do this, since its not the way the SOAP Specification goes.
Web Services have been defined as end point to end point message communication, where you invoke a single method on a service in a single call.

Although you can aggrigate the call to various web methods, while designing your web service, so that internally it can call two seperate web methods.

Regards,
Saurabh Nandu

Lode Leroy

Saurabh said:
I don't think you can do this, since its not the way the SOAP Specification goes.
Web Services have been defined as end point to end point message communication, where you invoke a single method on a service in a single call.

Although you can aggrigate the call to various web methods, while designing your web service, so that internally it can call two seperate web methods.

Regards,
Saurabh Nandu

Well, it's from reading the SOAP specifications that I actually got
the convinction that it should be possible to do just that...

From "http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-soap12-part1-20030624/#soapbody"

The Body element information item has:
Zero or more namespace qualified element information items in its
[children] property.

Do you have some other reference to the "SOAP Specification" where I
could find more information about this issue?

thanks for your feedback!

-- lode