Question about save dialog & mime types

melikamp

A problem: I put some .ogg files on my web page,
but when I click on the links, I get the files
displayed instead of downloaded.

Is there any way to make the browser invoke the
dialog box, even if it's not familiar with .ogg
mime type? I'm looking for HTML solution that would
work for most (or all) browsers.

Thanks!

Jukka K. Korpela

melikamp said:
A problem: I put some .ogg files on my web page,
but when I click on the links, I get the files
displayed instead of downloaded.

Please check the FAQ list http://www.htmlhelp.com/faq/html/
for example.
Is there any way to make the browser invoke the
dialog box, even if it's not familiar with .ogg
mime type?

Why do you call .ogg "mime type"?
I'm looking for HTML solution that would
work for most (or all) browsers.

An HTML solution? Why? This is about the HTTP protocol, not HTML.

Whitecrest

A problem: I put some .ogg files on my web page,
but when I click on the links, I get the files
displayed instead of downloaded.
Is there any way to make the browser invoke the
dialog box, even if it's not familiar with .ogg
mime type? I'm looking for HTML solution that would
work for most (or all) browsers.

Assuming your on a windows machine, the dialog you speak of, probably
came up and you chose view, but did not notice that the little check box
that said "always do it this way" was checked. (which is the default)

To fix it, open windows explorer, and disassociate the file type oog
with the viewer. This should open the dialog again.

Daniel R. Tobias

Whitecrest said:
Assuming your on a windows machine, the dialog you speak of, probably
came up and you chose view, but did not notice that the little check box
that said "always do it this way" was checked. (which is the default)

To fix it, open windows explorer, and disassociate the file type oog
with the viewer. This should open the dialog again.

It looks to me like the original poster was complaining that the dialog
*didn't* come up, but instead the browser tried to display the document
internally. This sounds like a case of a server not sending the proper
MIME type for the data type involved; for instance, if it defaults to
"text/plain", it may show up as garbage on the screen instead of
triggering a download or external application. This needs to be fixed
at the server end, not the browser or operating system of the end user.
With Apache, a .htaccess file can be used.

Spartanicus

melikamp said:
A problem: I put some .ogg files on my web page,
but when I click on the links, I get the files
displayed instead of downloaded.

Some info here: http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/streaming.htm

I recommend offering 2 links, one for streaming and one for download.

Note that for either to work the client's UA must be configured to
recognize the mime types. Since the mime type for Ogg files is fairly
obscure, it's not likely that it is configured in UAs by default, you
will have to assist users in configuring their UA via a "help" page.

melikamp

Daniel R. Tobias said:
It looks to me like the original poster was complaining that the
dialog *didn't* come up, but instead the browser tried to display the
document internally. This sounds like a case of a server not sending
the proper MIME type for the data type involved; for instance, if it
defaults to "text/plain", it may show up as garbage on the screen
instead of triggering a download or external application. This needs
to be fixed at the server end, not the browser or operating system of
the end user. With Apache, a .htaccess file can be used.

Yes, you understood my problem exactly. My provider, doteasy,
uses Apache/1.3.27 (Win32). So, I followed your advice by
creating an .htaccess file, which I shoved in the root.
I put just one line in there:

AddType audio/basic ogg

That didn't help. I wrote to doteasy, but they are slower
to respond than you guys. Talk about "paying for support" :p