question about streaming audio and websites

W. K. Mahler

hi,

i've been to many a site that upon the full load of the first page, i
immediatly hear audio and it is usually a song in full. there is no start
or stop buttons and after looking at the source, i find that is usually a
..wav. i've tried building a page similar in the past but even using my own
domain and dsl account at the time, the .wav would take forever do load and
would slow the page down from fully loading. i'm using front page 2000 and
i'm not about to go and purchase any new microsoft products, the prices are
too high and i cannot afford much else as of this moment to use as a addon
for front page for streaming audio. other than who is responsible for
hosting my domain, www.gisol.com i'm not about to give my material to
another company to host on their site so my site can have my audio with the
option to start and stop the audio.

any ideas?

w. k. mahler
www.mahlers.com

wkmahler

wkmahler

Spartanicus

<MYADDYISemeWITHOUTTHEWANTOFSPAMTOWARDSME@MYDOMAINSANSTHESPAMYOUBRINGmahlersDOESNTWANTSPAMATALL.com>

No need for the above junk, remove please.
i've been to many a site that upon the full load of the first page, i
immediatly hear audio and it is usually a song in full.

Terrible isn't it, it's in the top ten of user irritations, never ever
start media without the user having requested it.
there is no start
or stop buttons and after looking at the source, i find that is usually a
.wav.

Wav is a wrapper format, it can contain any compression format known to
man: http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/proprietary_media_formats.htm
i've tried building a page similar in the past

You actually want to unleash more of that crap onto the net?
but even using my own
domain and dsl account at the time, the .wav would take forever do load and
would slow the page down from fully loading.

Not if the media is properly compressed and streaming is initiated:
http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/streaming.htm
i'm using front page 2000

For &#deity's sake why are you using software that produces such
terrible code?

Roseb441702

[...]

I have 3 different types of music files on my pages. One plays while the page
is loading

http://members.aol.com/Roseb44170/home.htm.

and it is a .wav file. And you're quite right - a .wav file can be very large
in size. You may want to try to convert it into something that is smaller in
size ie an .mp3

There is also another music file on my home page that only plays if someone
clicks on the link. This one is a midi file which is still a large file but
not as large as the .wav file.

Rose
******
Not getting enough traffic to your website?
Visit my "ShoutOut" page at:

http://members.aol.com/Roseb441702/shoutout.htm