question post

nazran zubaer

Hi This is Nazran Zubaer from IUT,Dhaka,Bangladesh.I have a question :
Why are we using "void main()" in turbo C

Seebs

Hi This is Nazran Zubaer from IUT,Dhaka,Bangladesh.I have a question :
Why are we using "void main()" in turbo C

Okay, now I give. It's a troll, as such.

-s

Paul

Seebs said:
Okay, now I give. It's a troll, as such.

-s

Why not forward his question to a staff member ?

http://iutoic-dhaka.edu/mce.php

Dr. Md. Abdur Razzaq Akhanda
Head, MCE Department
Academic Building, IUT,
Board Bazar, Gazipur-1704

(includes email address on the web page)

I'm sure he knows what "void main()" is for :)
And which computer room those students are using.

Perhaps send the fine gentleman, a list of names
thoughtfully included in the posts. That'll help
narrow down the class having problems with their
Turbo C.

Paul

mohangupta13

Well as far as i know ...Turbo C is obsolete ( forgive me if iam
wrong) ,,..in my school i also used turbo C ( and many people still
use it) not knowing that Turbo C is based on the old C standard which
required main() to return void. But the current C standard (i.e C99)
requires main() to return int . So better get Dev-c compiler ( i know
only that) and use that only ...or if on linux better use gcc on
command line ( i do it that way ).
Mohan

Nick Keighley

Well as far as i know ...Turbo C is obsolete

well, it's cheap and readily available and runs on fairly underpowered
hardware. If I recall compiles pretty quick and comes with a basic
IDE. So it's probably not the best choice but its not the worst
either.
( forgive me if iam
wrong) ,,..in my school i also used turbo C ( and many people still
use it) not knowing that Turbo C is based on the old C standard

Richard Heathfield who posts here is one of those poor benighted
people who doesn't know that Turbo C is obsolete (that was sarcasm,
just because someone has made a different decision from you doesn't
alway mean they are ignorant).
which
required main() to return void.

noooo! No standard *ever* required main() to return void. This goes
right back to the original K&R C. C return's int. Always has.
But the current C standard (i.e C99)
requires main() to return int .

so did the more widely supported, older standard C89. That too
required main to return int.
So better get Dev-c compiler (i know only that)

there's also Microsoft's Visual C++ Express (despite the name it can
compile C and it's free).
and use that only ...or if on linux better use gcc on
command line ( i do it that way ).

<snip>

Seebs

Well as far as i know ...Turbo C is obsolete ( forgive me if iam
wrong) ,,..in my school i also used turbo C ( and many people still
use it) not knowing that Turbo C is based on the old C standard which
required main() to return void.

Wrong, at every level.

No C standard has ever required main() to return void.
No version of Turbo C has ever required main() to return void.

At least some versions of Turbo C *allowed* main() to return void, as
an extension. It has never been *required* by any hosted implementation.

-s