turbo C

bad boy

Hi,i am sajibul alam . i have question about c program.that is

what is file management in c program?

sajibul alam
department of CEE
roll:095404
iut,dhaka.

Seebs

Oke, sorry for some people, I plonked gmail.com

Quick straw poll:

Any posters using gmail.com who AREN'T the IUT troll?

I am not at this point at all confident that there is an actual
student body generating these, as opposed to a single fairly
persistent person who hates IUT. I have written to a few of
them and gotten no responses, ever. At this point, it stretches
credibility too much to imagine that every single student in
this course is too much of a jerk to respond when someone emails
them, and we've never seen a post, so I think it's reasonable
to conclude that this is a single troll who's fairly good at
writing in different voices.

But it seems like the shortest path is just to ignore anything
with a gmail.com posting address.

-s

Phil Carmody

Seebs said:
Quick straw poll:

Any posters using gmail.com who AREN'T the IUT troll?

My killfile has a "don't kill" rule for
"James Kanze <[email protected]>"
but no others. Then again, I don't appear to actually
be killing googlegroups presently on c.l.c. I guess he
was +ved during the recent c.l.c++ crosspost that was
so wide it was hitting that filter.

Phil

Noob

Seebs said:
Quick straw poll:

Any posters using gmail.com who AREN'T the IUT troll?

According to the false positives in my filter logs, at least

ImpalerCore
Michael Foukarakis
geo
James Kanze
Alexei Frounze

Ian Collins

Quick straw poll:

Any posters using gmail.com who AREN'T the IUT troll?

What news clients really need is a Geo-IP based filter!

I catch most of them using other fields in their message headers.

Ersek, Laszlo

What news clients really need is a Geo-IP based filter!

I catch most of them using other fields in their message headers.

Fantastic idea! I picked an example, looked at the headers, found

did a whois lookup on YYYYY, grabbed "inetnum" from the output, and now
I'm all set.

Thanks!
lacos

John Bode

Quick straw poll:

Any posters using gmail.com who AREN'T the IUT troll?

Yo. My gmail account is what I use for public sites; my regular ISP
account I try to keep as private as possible. I also use GG for
usenet access; my ISP shut down their NNTP servers and I don't want to
pay $X.95 per month just to read c.l.c and talk.origins.
I am not at this point at all confident that there is an actual
student body generating these, as opposed to a single fairly
persistent person who hates IUT.

May be worth sending an email to the civil engineering department at
IUT asking if they recommend using c.l.c as a primary language
resource.

If the answer is "no", then we'll know.
But it seems like the shortest path is just to ignore anything
with a gmail.com posting address.

Well, most people ignore me anyway, so I've learned how to handle
rejection well.

Noob

John said:
Yo. My gmail account is what I use for public sites; my regular ISP
account I try to keep as private as possible. I also use GG for
usenet access; my ISP shut down their NNTP servers and I don't want to
pay $X.95 per month just to read c.l.c and talk.origins.

eternal-september.org and aioe.org are free, right?

Seebs

May be worth sending an email to the civil engineering department at
IUT asking if they recommend using c.l.c as a primary language
resource.
If the answer is "no", then we'll know.

The answer is that they do not respond to queries at all, so far. Feel
free to try, maybe they ignored me because I didn't have a gmail address.

-s

Seebs

eternal-september.org and aioe.org are free, right?

Yes. Although I wouldn't recommend aioe -- they're a haven for harassment.
Their policy is that they will not take any action about harassment-type
things, nor disclose any information about users, without an Italian court
order. Which, in general, you can't get unless you're an Italian, or have
a TON of money. This makes them the server of choice for people who want
to harass someone with effective anonymity, and thus, an eminently blockable
site.

-s

James Harris

Quick straw poll:

Any posters using gmail.com who AREN'T the IUT troll?

I post from GG and have a googlemail or gmail account.
I am not at this point at all confident that there is an actual
student body generating these, as opposed to a single fairly
persistent person who hates IUT.  I have written to a few of
them and gotten no responses, ever.  At this point, it stretches
credibility too much to imagine that every single student in
this course is too much of a jerk to respond when someone emails
them, and we've never seen a post, so I think it's reasonable
to conclude that this is a single troll who's fairly good at
writing in different voices.

Well, allowance must be made for people from other countries whose
first language is not English but since there are so many messages in
the same form it seems likely to be one person or a group of people
acting together.
But it seems like the shortest path is just to ignore anything
with a gmail.com posting address.

Do you see this post from a gmail account? AIUI google have only
recently got approval to use the gmail identifier in the UK so some
messages may, at least for the time being, appear to be from
googlemail accounts. Maybe they will later appear to be from gmail
accounts.

James

Kenny McCormack

eternal-september.org and aioe.org are free, right?

And worth about what you pay for them.

A while back, I, just on a lark, did a little investigation of the
"free" news servers. I found that they all have gotchas. Speed seems
to be a real issue (among other things).

--
No, I haven't, that's why I'm asking questions. If you won't help me,
why don't you just go find your lost manhood elsewhere.

CLC in a nutshell.

BruceS

I post from GG and have a googlemail or gmail account.

Ditto, but a quick check will show me as using a hotmail account.
I've seen messages about automatically killfiling anything posted
using GG. Does this really means killfiling anything posted using a
gmail account?

Seebs

Ditto, but a quick check will show me as using a hotmail account.
I've seen messages about automatically killfiling anything posted
using GG. Does this really means killfiling anything posted using a
gmail account?

Depends on the software. Some software makes "*@gmail.com" easier to grab
than a suitable message-id.

-s

Phil Carmody

Phil Carmody said:
My killfile has a "don't kill" rule for
"James Kanze <[email protected]>"
but no others. Then again, I don't appear to actually
be killing googlegroups presently on c.l.c.

Nonsense. It just has nothing to do with 'gmail' in any headers.

Phil

Sjouke Burry

BruceS said:
Ditto, but a quick check will show me as using a hotmail account.
I've seen messages about automatically killfiling anything posted
using GG. Does this really means killfiling anything posted using a
gmail account?
Yep!(for me) I see only the responses to the troll(s).
As I said: Sorry for the serious people using gmail.

Colonel Harlan Sanders

Yes. Although I wouldn't recommend aioe -- they're a haven for harassment.
Their policy is that they will not take any action about harassment-type
things, nor disclose any information about users, without an Italian court
order. Which, in general, you can't get unless you're an Italian, or have
a TON of money. This makes them the server of choice for people who want
to harass someone with effective anonymity, and thus, an eminently blockable
site.

This is a pretty serious accusation to make against AIOE. As far as I
know, it is a free service, run by one guy who has a commitment to
free speech and access to information.

As for only acting on an Italian court order, he's in Italy. What's
unreasonable about that? How many US companies would act on a foreign
court order? As for "disclosing information", AIOE doesn't require a
sign on, the only information it has at all is the IP of the poster.

And really, how many US companies would do anything at all about a
complaint of "Usenet harassment"? I think you would be lucky to get
any response, and have no hope of any action, short of spending a
small fortune to use court processes; futile as a determined troll
will just hop from one provider to another.

Also AIOE's TOS:
Posting Rights
25 articles per day. No more than 5 rejected articles per day.

Style Rules
Maximum 5 groups in crosspost,
maximum 3 groups if a followup is not set.
Maximum size 32768 bytes.

Forbidden contents
No Spam.
No porn.
No nazi.

And they (he) does seem to enforce this. I've never seen any spam from
AIOE anyway.

I know that one troll has been posting stuff about you via AIOE. But
to advocate a blanket ban on that basis is unfair. He could do the
same via any Usenet server -- and via GoogleGroups if he wanted to --
and nothing you could do about it.

It's easier to contemplate blocking GoogleGroups (by the way, when you
say "block GMail" do you mean "block posts via GoogleGroups? Because
lots of people use a GMail address and post via other servers) because
of the huge quantity of spam they enable (as well as the current "IUT
students"). And assholes like Nilges have been spewing libelous
statements for a decade via GoogleGroups, for free, with no fear.
Unfortunately a number of respectable people also use GoogleGroups.
You could whitelist them, but that's obviously prone to error.

With the disappearance of ISP provided Usenet servers, gaining access
to Usenet in its true form (not mangled through a web interface) has
become a problem. You can pay for a commercial service, but these are
geared to binary warez posters. If you just want to post to technical
text newsgroups you're using a millionth of the bandwidth you're
paying for. A free server like AIOE is very useful in that situation;
it's been a while since I used it but I wouldn't hesitate to do so if
my current server crapped out.

Seebs

As for only acting on an Italian court order, he's in Italy. What's
unreasonable about that? How many US companies would act on a foreign
court order? As for "disclosing information", AIOE doesn't require a
sign on, the only information it has at all is the IP of the poster.

Yes. But I would guess that many companies would provide that in response
to any reasonably verifiable law enforcement request.
And really, how many US companies would do anything at all about a
complaint of "Usenet harassment"? I think you would be lucky to get
any response, and have no hope of any action, short of spending a
small fortune to use court processes; futile as a determined troll
will just hop from one provider to another.

I've gotten IP addresses from US companies by requesting them, on several
occasions.
I know that one troll has been posting stuff about you via AIOE. But
to advocate a blanket ban on that basis is unfair. He could do the
same via any Usenet server -- and via GoogleGroups if he wanted to --
and nothing you could do about it.

1. I don't advocate a blanket ban.
2. That's not the reason for me to say that they're blockable.

That was indeed the event which caused me to do some research on them --
at which point I found that, because they provide functional anonymity
and no way to track people to their originating providers, they're
popular with harassers and stalkers.
It's easier to contemplate blocking GoogleGroups (by the way, when you
say "block GMail" do you mean "block posts via GoogleGroups? Because
lots of people use a GMail address and post via other servers) because
of the huge quantity of spam they enable (as well as the current "IUT
students").

I hadn't gotten as far as looking to see whether they were using google
groups to post or just gmail addresses.
And assholes like Nilges have been spewing libelous
statements for a decade via GoogleGroups, for free, with no fear.

Sure, but not without disclosing an IP address.
With the disappearance of ISP provided Usenet servers, gaining access
to Usenet in its true form (not mangled through a web interface) has
become a problem. You can pay for a commercial service, but these are
geared to binary warez posters. If you just want to post to technical
text newsgroups you're using a millionth of the bandwidth you're
paying for. A free server like AIOE is very useful in that situation;
it's been a while since I used it but I wouldn't hesitate to do so if
my current server crapped out.

I figure the cost of my usenet subscription is pretty trivial, and sure,
it gives me a ton of bandwidth I don't need, but it's still cheap.

-s

Default User

Sjouke Burry said:
BruceS wrote:
Yep!(for me) I see only the responses to the troll(s).

Well, no. Gmail and Google Groups are often used by the same people, but
neither require the other. You can post from any news service using a Gmail
address, and you can post from GG using any email address.

Brian