Questions about TCPSocket

Axel Etzold

Dear all,

I am trying to use Ruby bindings of a software that does
computations by exchanging messages between competent code.
The details are explained here:

http://www.math.kobe-u.ac.jp/OpenXM/1.2.1/html/OpenXM-en/OpenXM/node5.html

This software can be used from the command line and there, it works as
expected.
Now, I'd like to use it from ruby. There are ruby binding scripts.
However, I encounter some problems when initialising
TCPSocket - I can't get any connection. Both ruby and OpenXM are
installed on the same computer.
What could be the problem ?

Thank you very much,

Best regards,

Axel

require "socket"
<snip>
</snip>
class OXSession
def initialize(host = "localhost",
controlport = rand(20000)+1024,
dataport = controlport+1,
byteorder = 0)
@serial = 0
begin
printf("Connecting to %s, \n", host)
printf("Trying to connect to controlport %d, \n", controlport)
@controlp = TCPSocket.new(host, controlport)
sleep 2
printf("Trying to connect to dataport %d, \n", dataport)
@datap = TCPSocket.new(host, dataport)
sleep 2
rescue
p 'could not connect'
end

# byte oder negotiation
@byteorder = decide_byte_order(byteorder)
end

attr_accessor :controlp, :datap

def decide_byte_order(b_or_l)
if b_or_l == 0
@controlp.read(1)
@datap.read(1)
@controlp.flush
@datap.flush
@controlp.write(0)
@datap.write(0)
return 0
end
end
end
<snip>

Robert Klemme

2007/11/16 said:
Dear all,

I am trying to use Ruby bindings of a software that does
computations by exchanging messages between competent code.
The details are explained here:

http://www.math.kobe-u.ac.jp/OpenXM/1.2.1/html/OpenXM-en/OpenXM/node5.html

This software can be used from the command line and there, it works as
expected.
Now, I'd like to use it from ruby. There are ruby binding scripts.
However, I encounter some problems when initialising
TCPSocket - I can't get any connection. Both ruby and OpenXM are
installed on the same computer.
What could be the problem ?

Posting an exception with stack trace often goes a long way to help
people help you. So I suggest you give that detail.

Generic answer would be: configuration issue, firewall, network issues...

Cheers

robert

Axel Etzold

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 00:05:11 +0900
Von: "Robert Klemme" <[email protected]>
An: (e-mail address removed)
Betreff: Re: Questions about TCPSocket
Posting an exception with stack trace often goes a long way to help
people help you. So I suggest you give that detail.

Generic answer would be: configuration issue, firewall, network issues...

Cheers

robert

Dear Robert,

thanks for your reply.
I now get

dhcppc0:/usr/local/openxm-head/OpenXM/src/ruby # ruby ox.rb
Connecting to localhost,
Trying to connect to controlport 1200,
Exception: Errno::ECONNREFUSED: Connection refused - connect(2)
ox.rb:172:in `initialize'
ox.rb:172:in `new'
ox.rb:172:in `initialize'
ox.rb:315:in `new'
ox.rb:315

I tried to find some help in previous discussions, and was able to
identify some open ports, through which I can communicate.
Is there a way to change what ports are blocked from ruby, as root, on Linux ?

Thank you very much,

Axel

Robert Klemme

2007/11/16 said:
-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Dear Robert,

thanks for your reply.
I now get

dhcppc0:/usr/local/openxm-head/OpenXM/src/ruby # ruby ox.rb
Connecting to localhost,
Trying to connect to controlport 1200,
Exception: Errno::ECONNREFUSED: Connection refused - connect(2)
ox.rb:172:in `initialize'
ox.rb:172:in `new'
ox.rb:172:in `initialize'
ox.rb:315:in `new'
ox.rb:315

I tried to find some help in previous discussions, and was able to
identify some open ports, through which I can communicate.
Is there a way to change what ports are blocked from ruby, as root, on Linux ?

Either there is nothing listening on that port or the firewall of your
or the target machine blocks the connection. If you are on Linux you
can most likely check with iptables or ip6tables. Chances are that
there is also a GUI tool for that.

Cheers

robert