Questions about the Class::Contract module

Jim Cochrane

I've begun looking into using the Class::Contract module as, essentially, an
infrastructure for producing object-oriented modules and programs. From
what I've seen so far, there are several advantages to this approach (in
addition to the DBC features - preconditions, invariants, etc. - that it
provides), including: a simple syntax for specifying a class's interface;
a straightforward mechanism for specifying and enforcing whether a
particular attribute or method is public; a simplified process for defining
constructors (for example, an explicit "bless ..." statement is not
required); a simplified method for specifying the attributes of a class.

In short, it appears to me that Class::Contract provides a powerful and
very useful mechanism for implementing an OO Perl program without much of
the tedium and extra work that would be required without the use of such
a module. On the other hand, when I search http://groups.google.com/ for
Class::Contract I see very little discussion of it (only about 28 results).
This leads me to suspect that this module is not used very much.

My questions are:

Is it true that this module is not used very much or are my search results
misleading? (E.e., perhaps discussion, requests for help, etc. for this
module are mainly confined to more closed media, such as mailing lists.)
If it is not used much, for those who have some insights as to why this is
so, would you mind sharing them here?

For those who use or are familiar with Class::Contract - Do you find it
useful for writing well-designed OO modules or applications in Perl?
Have you found it to be of relatively high quality - e.g., few bugs and
reasonable workarounds for any serious bugs? What are the main
disadvantages of using the module?

What other modules and tools have people found to be effective or helpful
for writing OO modules or applications in Perl?

[I thinks this is relevant to both *.modules and *.misc, but if not,
apologies for the crossposting.]

Thanks!