questions on the ruby faq

Rob Sanheim

Just some general thoughts on the faq (http://www.rubygarden.org/faq/
I guess?) in light of the thread on experienced users and the health
of ruby-talk in general:

- Why isn't that faq promoted more? I've been reading here for at
least a year, but don't remember seeing anyone point to it or noticing
any regular reminders of it.

- Is the list of proposed questions here
(http://www.rubygarden.org/faq/question?controller_prefix=faq/)
being worked on by anyone? There are some good questions that could
use answers.

- Any chance of updating the faq to match the newer ruby-lang look? I
know its a long shot, but it would be much more attractive to new
users...

- Rob

dblack

Hi --

Just some general thoughts on the faq (http://www.rubygarden.org/faq/
I guess?) in light of the thread on experienced users and the health
of ruby-talk in general:

- Why isn't that faq promoted more? I've been reading here for at
least a year, but don't remember seeing anyone point to it or noticing
any regular reminders of it.

Part of the problem is that the old installation of the FAQ, on
rubycentral.com (as opposed to rubycentral.org, which is the same as
rubygarden), is still online and people are still getting referred to
it. So the whole project of replacing and updating the FAQ has been
difficult. I've tried to contact the current registrants of
rubycentral.com (there's a long history to it; the bottom line is that
it's Pearson), but have been unable to get a response. Ruby Central
would like to have that domain, just to get rid of the duplication and
confusion (in case anyone's listening :)
- Is the list of proposed questions here
(http://www.rubygarden.org/faq/question?controller_prefix=faq/)
being worked on by anyone? There are some good questions that could
use answers.

It's not being worked on actively. I agree that it would be great if
it were.
- Any chance of updating the faq to match the newer ruby-lang look? I
know its a long shot, but it would be much more attractive to new
users...

As long as it's fairly easy and doesn't dictate changes in content or
function, I don't see why not. I wouldn't be the one to handle that,
though, but I could facilitate it.

David

--
Q. What's a good holiday present for the serious Rails developer?
aka The Ruby book for Rails developers!