Rational Rose/C++ code generation (newbie question)

Dave

Hi,
I'm using Rational Rose 98 to draw state machines and I would like to
know what's the best tool available to generate C++ code (not VC++)
from the state machine diagram.

Specifically, the following state machine features should be supported:
* Hierarchical (composite, nested) states
* Orthogonal (concurrent) states
* Entry-, exit- and transition-actions
* Guards
* Shallow/deep history

I only need to generate code for the state machine specifications, not
the other stuff that I can draw using Rational rose.

any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Newbie

Graham Menhennitt

I'm using Rational Rose 98 to draw state machines and I would like to
know what's the best tool available to generate C++ code (not VC++)
from the state machine diagram.

Specifically, the following state machine features should be supported:
* Hierarchical (composite, nested) states
* Orthogonal (concurrent) states
* Entry-, exit- and transition-actions
* Guards
* Shallow/deep history

I used Rational Rose Realtime Edition for a few years (2000-2003) and
it could do all of those things except the orthogonal states bit. When
I last used it, there was talk of merging it in with the standard
Rose, but I don't know if that happened. It still seems to be
available according to
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/developer/technical/.
When we started using it, it was very immature but by 2003 it had
improved considerably.

Cheers,
Graham

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bal=E1zs_Szalai?=

I'm using Rational Rose 98 to draw state machines and I would like to
know what's the best tool available to generate C++ code (not VC++)
from the state machine diagram.
I'm also curiously awaiting for answers. Personally I haven't seen much code
generation from Rose98 and doubt if there's any (useful).

But there is "Rose Realtime", which has code generation and (almost) full development cycle support.
Relating to your requirements there are no concurrent states. That's against
the basic principle of capsule (~ object with private thread), which in
itself denotes single flow of control.

Another issue is how you want to express actions? Do you want C++ code
or some more abstract 'action specification' or 'constraint specification'?
You could try some other MDA/MDD/MBSD tools, there are plenty around.

If you only want to generate code for state machine specifications you could
take a look at "Practical Statecharts in C/C++" by Miro Samek (http://www.accu.org/cgi-bin/accu/rvout.cgi?from=0au_s&file=p003466a).