RDLC vs. Crystal Reports

Altman

I am currently using ASP.Net 2003 and will be upgrading to 2005
sometime in the near future. I have been having issues with using
Crystal Reports that were included with .Net to handle my reporting
needs. I was wondering if anybody has an opinion on how the new
reportViewer control works in comparison to Crystal. One of the main
problems I have been having with Crystal Reports is that they seem to
load very slow no matter how small the report is and no matter how fast
the server is. I also have been having a problem (and I think this is
a Crystal bug) with creating the report to work with lets say the pubs
database. Then when I transfer to a different machine and want to use
a different database name pubsTest, the report fails. The application
that we are writing will have about 50 -100 people using it (not all at
once). One of my concerns with crystal was that I believe it has a
limit on how many people can run reports. Is this the case with RDLC?
Are RDLC faster? More reliable? Easy to use?

Bruno Alexandre

the answer it's easy for the CR part.

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 have the component for Crystal Reports under
ASP.NET, but this license is only for developer proposes, to have it under a
publishing server you need to buy a new license and as you can see under CR
website, does not have any limitation like the Developer license in the
VS2k5.

SQL Report Services is the same deal... under VS is only for developing...

Read more:
http://www.businessobjects.com/products/reporting/crystalreports/net/licensing.asp#webapps

Altman

I know I read somewhere that Crystal can be used for up to a couple
users concurrently for web server purposes. Once you get past that
then you need to get Crystal Report Server. All of the documentation I
have read on RDLC and the reportviewer says nothing about having to get
a license for that.
As quoted from http://www.gotreportviewer.com/

# Q: Is a SQL Server license required to use the ReportViewer control?

A: No. The ReportViewer control is freely redistributable. It can work
independently of SQL Server ('local mode') and a SQL Server license is
not required. In remote mode the ReportViewer control talks to a Report
Server. The Report Server does require a SQL Server license.

Bruno Alexandre

still, you need SQL 2005 Server w/Report Service licenced in a server
machine to run it.

can't use the free MSDE :-(

--

Bruno Alexandre
(a Portuguese in Københanv, Danmark)

"Altman" <[email protected]> escreveu na mensagem
I know I read somewhere that Crystal can be used for up to a couple
users concurrently for web server purposes. Once you get past that
then you need to get Crystal Report Server. All of the documentation I
have read on RDLC and the reportviewer says nothing about having to get
a license for that.
As quoted from http://www.gotreportviewer.com/

# Q: Is a SQL Server license required to use the ReportViewer control?

A: No. The ReportViewer control is freely redistributable. It can work
independently of SQL Server ('local mode') and a SQL Server license is
not required. In remote mode the ReportViewer control talks to a Report
Server. The Report Server does require a SQL Server license.

Bruno Alexandre

I still use my reports in a standard HTML + CSS style, and they work great
:) even in multiple pages (of course I need to calculate when do I want
page break, but still... pretty and clean ;-)

--

Bruno Alexandre
(a Portuguese in Københanv, Danmark)

"Altman" <[email protected]> escreveu na mensagem
I know I read somewhere that Crystal can be used for up to a couple
users concurrently for web server purposes. Once you get past that
then you need to get Crystal Report Server. All of the documentation I
have read on RDLC and the reportviewer says nothing about having to get
a license for that.
As quoted from http://www.gotreportviewer.com/

# Q: Is a SQL Server license required to use the ReportViewer control?

A: No. The ReportViewer control is freely redistributable. It can work
independently of SQL Server ('local mode') and a SQL Server license is
not required. In remote mode the ReportViewer control talks to a Report
Server. The Report Server does require a SQL Server license.

Altman

still, you need SQL 2005 Server w/Report Service licenced in a server
machine to run it.
To me it doesn't look like you do, as I stated in the previous message

As quoted from http://www.gotreportviewer.com/

# Q: Is a SQL Server license required to use the ReportViewer control?

A: No. The ReportViewer control is freely redistributable. It can work
independently of SQL Server ('local mode') and a SQL Server license is
not required. In remote mode the ReportViewer control talks to a Report
Server. The Report Server does require a SQL Server license.

I have not seen anywhere stating that you must have SQL server but I
have seen almost everywhere saying that you do not need SQL server.
Yes you would need it if you use RDL, but I will be using RDLC.

Bruno Alexandre

but who runs the service??? right?

--

Bruno Alexandre
(a Portuguese in Københanv, Danmark)

"Altman" <[email protected]> escreveu na mensagem
still, you need SQL 2005 Server w/Report Service licenced in a server
machine to run it.
To me it doesn't look like you do, as I stated in the previous message

As quoted from http://www.gotreportviewer.com/

# Q: Is a SQL Server license required to use the ReportViewer control?

A: No. The ReportViewer control is freely redistributable. It can work
independently of SQL Server ('local mode') and a SQL Server license is
not required. In remote mode the ReportViewer control talks to a Report
Server. The Report Server does require a SQL Server license.

I have not seen anywhere stating that you must have SQL server but I
have seen almost everywhere saying that you do not need SQL server.
Yes you would need it if you use RDL, but I will be using RDLC.

Guest

you do not need a SQL licence to use the ReportViewer control. You dont need
Reporting services to use it either. YOu feed datasets to the control and
that is how the report is built.

dgk

but who runs the service??? right?

A reportviewer control with ProcessingMode set to Local (which is what
RDLC means - C is Client) runs on the local PC and does not need SQL
Server. If ProcessingMode is set to Remote then it is running a report
that is part of SQLServer Reporting Services (an RDL report) and that
server must be running SQL Server.

In local mode, the programmer supplies the data to the report as
needed, with subreports requiring an event handler to supply the data.
That data can come from a local or remote database of any kind since
you can pass in business objects as easily as a datatable. Local mode
is limited to only being able to output the report as PDF or Excel.

I did this in a Windows project but I think it works the same way in a
web page.