rdoc hoe dependency

Peña, Botp

For the benefit of us nubies, maybe rdoc should also update hoe if it =
finds it at lower version (cause otherwise it should not install since =
it would not run anyway). just a suggestion.

eg

botp@bgmisits:/usr/local/src/ruby-1.8.7-p71$ rdoc --all --ri
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:578:in =
`report_activate_error': RubyGem version error: hoe(1.6.0 not >=3D =
1.7.0) (Gem::LoadError)
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:134:in =
`activate'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:158:in =
`activate'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:157:in `each'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:157:in =
`activate'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:49:in `gem'
from /usr/local/bin/rdoc:18

botp@bgmisits:/usr/local/src/ruby-1.8.7-p71$ sudo gem install hoe
[sudo] password for botp:
Successfully installed hoe-1.7.0
1 gem installed
Installing ri documentation for hoe-1.7.0...
Installing RDoc documentation for hoe-1.7.0...

botp@bgmisits:/usr/local/src/ruby-1.8.7-p71$ rdoc --all --ri
... works fine now...

kind regards -botp

Ryan Davis

For the benefit of us nubies, maybe rdoc should also update hoe if =20
it finds it at lower version (cause otherwise it should not install =20=
since it would not run anyway). just a suggestion.

huh?

rdoc shouldn't update hoe or any other gem. Rubygems should...

What I don't understand is how you installed a newer rdoc that =20
requires a newer hoe, but somehow didn't update hoe. Either something =20=

messed up with your install and dependencies weren't updated (usually =20=

they're first tho) or... I have no idea.

Actually... this is odd:

dependencies:
- !ruby/object:Gem::Dependency
name: hoe
type: :development
version_requirement:
version_requirements: !ruby/object:Gem::Requirement
requirements:
- - ">=3D"
- !ruby/object:Gem::Version
version: 1.7.0
version:

hoe is a developer dependency, so it shouldn't be activated when you =20
use the rdoc cmdline tool. I think you might have a mix of rdoc =20
versions?

hemant

huh?

rdoc shouldn't update hoe or any other gem. Rubygems should...

What I don't understand is how you installed a newer rdoc that requires a
newer hoe, but somehow didn't update hoe. Either something messed up with
your install and dependencies weren't updated (usually they're first tho)
or... I have no idea.

Actually... this is odd:

dependencies:
- !ruby/object:Gem::Dependency
name: hoe
type: :development
version_requirement:
version_requirements: !ruby/object:Gem::Requirement
requirements:
- - ">=3D"
- !ruby/object:Gem::Version
version: 1.7.0
version:

hoe is a developer dependency, so it shouldn't be activated when you use = the
rdoc cmdline tool. I think you might have a mix of rdoc versions?

Well well, thats not my experience at all, very strangely, gems that
have hoe as build dependency end up requiring hoe, when I try to
require the gem. In many cases, i had to edit the gemspec, to remove
hoe as dependency.

Eric Hodel

For the benefit of us nubies, maybe rdoc should also update hoe if =20
it finds it at lower version (cause otherwise it should not install =20=
since it would not run anyway). just a suggestion.

I think it is RubyGems' bug that has since been fixed.=