RDoc: How to extend; YAML?

Graham Wideman

Folks:

I'm wanting to extend RDoc to produce module/class/method etc data in an
alternative format.

Looks like the general principle is to add a generator module, and then
command rdoc to use that using the fmt command line parameter.

OK so far, but two questions:

1. Project structure
---------------------
If I want to add an alternative-output extension, what's the right way to
structure my project's files? I could add a generator module in the
directory in the existing library where the library's rdoc looks for it, but
that means adding my mess to the library. Or I could copy the entire
library's rdoc tree to my own space... but copying the library seems wrong.

2. yaml
--------
What currently produces the yaml output that's sitting in:

D:\ruby\share\ri\1.8\system

3. RDoc Docs?
-------------

Are there any good docs on RDoc in general, and extending RDoc specifically
(aside from the source code)? Googling for "RDoc documentation" is not very
satisfying :).

Thanks,

Graham

Eero Saynatkari

Graham said:
Folks:

I'm wanting to extend RDoc to produce module/class/method etc data in an
alternative format.

<elided />

I needed to do this a while back and just ended up
hacking directly into the intermediary HTML builder
to intercept the internal data structures from that.
After a bit of normalization, YAML is spat out.

When I get home, I will see if I can get a tarball
hosted somewhere or I can mail it to you.

James Britt

Eero said:
I needed to do this a while back and just ended up
hacking directly into the intermediary HTML builder
to intercept the internal data structures from that.
After a bit of normalization, YAML is spat out.

When I get home, I will see if I can get a tarball
hosted somewhere or I can mail it to you.

RDog also does rdoc source/outputter manipulation, and may offer some
ideas or examples:

http://rubyforge.org/projects/rdog

--
James Britt

http://web2.0validator.com - We're the Dot in Web 2.0

Eric Hodel

3. RDoc Docs?
-------------

Are there any good docs on RDoc in general, and extending RDoc
specifically
(aside from the source code)? Googling for "RDoc documentation" is
not very
satisfying :).

Unfortunately, no.

Graham Wideman

Eero:

I'm not directly interested in spitting out the yaml, I was interested in
how the ri yaml had been generated since there wasn't an evident yaml rdoc
generator.

As for hacking into the html builder, that's about what I was considering
too.

I intended to add a new generator module, based on one or another of the
existing one. But this led to the question I asked, which was how to
structure such a project in a manner that worked *with* Ruby rather than
against!

BTW, thanks for the offer, but hold off on effort that unless I get really
stuck.

Thanks,

Graham