[ANN] RDoc 3

Eric Hodel

RDoc 3.0.1 has been released

* http://rubyforge.org/projects/rdoc/
* http://rdoc.rubyforge.org/
* http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=3D2472&group_id=3D627&func=3Dbrowse

RDoc is an application that produces documentation for one or more Ruby =
source
files. RDoc includes the +rdoc+ and +ri+ tools for generating and =
displaying
online documentation.

See RDoc for a description of RDoc's markup and basic use.

=3D Upgrading from RDoc 2

When installing RDoc 3 where RDoc 2 is already installed you may get an =
error during RDoc generation. You may generate RDoc data by running gem =
cleanup rdoc followed by gem rdoc rdoc

=3D=3D=3D 3.0 / 2010-12-19

Special thanks to Thierry Lambert for massive improvements to RDoc.

* Major enhancements
* Ruby 1.8.6 is no longer supported by RDoc.
* RDoc now converts input files to a single encoding specified by
--encoding. See RDoc::RDoc and RDoc::Options#encoding.
--encoding is now preferred over --charset
* RDoc now supports a --coverage-report flag (also -C and
--dcov) that outputs a report on items lacking documentation.
* Templates (rdoc -T) are now checked for existence in
RDoc::Options. Generator authors can now use =
RDoc::Options#template_dir
which is the full path to the template directory.
* Added support for class aliases. Patch by Thierry Lambert.
* Improved merging of classes and modules across multiple files =
including
more accurate documentation statistics. Patch by Thierry Lambert.
* Improved handling of method aliases. Patch by Thierry Lambert.
* Improved handling of visibility of RDoc code objects. Patch by =
Thierry
Lambert.
* RDoc::Attr#type is now RDoc::Attr#definition. Patch by Thierry =
Lambert.
* Removed TimeConstantMethods
* RDoc now calls ::new instead of ::for on generators.
* Minor enhancements
* Added rdoc arguments --dry-run, --all,
--visibility, --force-output, --hyperlink-all.
Patch by Thierry Lambert.
* RDoc::Markup::FormatterTestCase has been expanded. Patch by Thierry
Lambert.
* RDoc::Markup::TextFormatterTestCase has been extracted from RDoc =
tests.
Patch by Thierry Lambert.
* Various RDoc::parser::Ruby enhancements. Patch by Thierry Lambert.
* Various RDoc::Markup::parser enhancements. Patch by Thierry =
Lambert.
* RDoc::parser::binary? is more robust now that it uses Encoding.
* Deprecated rdoc arguments are now explicitly mentioned in rdoc =
command
output. Patch by Thierry Lambert.
* Constant values are formatted more accurately. Patch by Thierry =
Lambert.
* Enhanced call-seq parsing in RDoc::parser::C. Patch by Thierry =
Lambert.
* RDoc no longer uses kw, cmt, re or str classes for embedded source =
code
snippets. Patch by Thierry Lambert.
* RDoc directives may now be escaped with a leading '\\'. Patch by =
Thierry
Lambert.
* RDoc note lists (label::) now generate a table with class
"rdoc-list". Patch by Thierry Lambert.
* RDoc markup documentation has been moved to RDoc::Markup including =
notes
on how to document source code.
* An RDoc::Require is now always listed at the file level. Patch by =
Thierry
Lambert.
* RDoc::CodeObjects now know which file they were defined in.
* RDoc::Options calls ::setup_options on the generator class specified =
by
--format. See RDoc::Options::setup_generator.
* rdoc gives an error when multiple formats are given.
* Files with erb inside will no longer trip RDoc::parser::binary?
* Last --title wins. Patch by Thierry Lambert.
* Better block params handling. Patch by Thierry Lambert.
* Moved rdoc/tokenstream.rb to rdoc/token_stream.rb.
* Moved rdoc/markup/preprocess.rb to rdoc/markup/pre_process.rb.
* Removed "':' not followed by operator or identifier" warning for new =
Hash
syntax.
* rb_attr() is now supported for attributes.
* RDoc::parser::C now supports yields, doc, and args directives like
RDoc::parser::Ruby.
* Moved RDoc::parser::perlPOD to the rdoc-perl_pod gem.
* Bug fixes
* RDoc::Generator tests no longer require any installed RDoc on Ruby =
1.9
* Load existing cache before generating ri. Ruby r27749 by NAKAMURA =
Usaku.
* RDoc now handles BOM. Ruby r28062 by Nobuyoshi Nakada.
* Use proper XML encoding for darkfish classpage. Ruby r28083 by =
NARUSE,
Yui.
* Fix ri output when special characters are inside html tags. Patch =
by Tomo
Kazahaya, Ruby Bug #3512.
* Don't bother checking if the pager exists, it's already done. Ruby =
r28842
by NAKAMURA Usaku.
* RDoc::parser::Ruby now ignores non-constant-named singleton classes. =
Ruby
r29140 by Nobuyoshi Nakada. Ruby Bug #3759.
* RDoc::parser::Ruby call args no longer include assignment. Ruby =
r29141 by
Nobuyoshi Nakada. Ruby Bug #3759
* Handle $HOME being unset in ri. Ruby r29272 by Nobuyoshi Nakada.
* uniq ancestors and modules too. Ruby r29312 by Nobuyoshi Nakada.
* RDoc now knows about Encoding by default. Ruby r29356 by Nobuyoshi
Nakada.
* ri now defaults to the backspace formatter when piped. Use RI =
environment
variable or options to override. Ruby r28455 by Yusuke Endoh.
* __send__ and friends no longer get their underscores removed. Patch =
by
Thierry Lambert.
* The C parser now makes new public when promoting initialize.
* Fix crash in #markup_code for TkUnknownChar.
* Fix crash in RDoc::parser::C when aliasing methods with Regexp =
special
characters.
* Fix crash when various operators are used as a name as in
alias * compose.
* Fix warning with some dynamic use of attr_*
* Methods added to true, false and nil are now documented.
* Remove warning for methods defined on globals.

=3D=3D=3D 3.0.1 / 2010-12-19

* Bug fix
* RDoc no longer has a Perl parser.

Eric Hodel

I filed this bug report back in February when the RDoc version was 2.4.3.
=20
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=3Ddetail&aid=3D27838&group_id=3D= 627&atid=3D2472
=20
The bug is still present in RDoc 3.0.1 and it does not seem that anyone ha=
s even looked at the bug report. The same goes for a number of other bug rep=
orts, which have been filed earlier this year.
=20
Why is it that new versions of RDoc are released without fixing outstandin=
g bugs?

Did you not read the history provided? I count 20 bug fixes and 37 noted enh=
ancements. The amount of changes included made a release more important to m=
e than fixing more bugs.

I'm sorry I didn't fix your particular bug, but I don't get paid to work on R=
Doc, so I prioritize based on my level of interest. I will fix it when I hav=
e the time.

Remember, RDoc is open source. If you feel your bug is being neglected you c=
an always write a patch to speed things up=

KUBO Takehiro

p_id=3D627&atid=3D2472

I would, but you didn't attach it to the ticket and instead pasted it in =
as a comment. rubyforge munged it. Please attach it instead. (make sure you=
check that stupid checkbox!)

How I can attach a patch to already submitted issues?
The checkbox is found only when I submit a new one.

Anyway, I posted the patch to other site.
https://gist.github.com/752409

Ryan Davis