Re: HTML New Window, Set Size

Rob McAninch

Ick, get rid of the target in there. That's annoying, and rarely
warranted.
No, there isn't.

Incidentally, look into JavaScript, not JAVA, for how you could
go about doing this.

Neo555

Actually, I do want the target in there, but thanks for your suggestion. It
would do very little good to set the size of a window if the link opened in
the existing window. I'll look into JavaScript.

Thanks,

Neo

Mark Parnell

Neo555 said:
Actually, I do want the target in there, but thanks for your
suggestion. It would do very little good to set the size of a window
if the link opened in the existing window. I'll look into JavaScript.

That's the point - you shouldn't be opening a new window in the first place.
Leave that choice up to the user.

Rob McAninch

Mark Parnell
That's the point - you shouldn't be opening a new window in
the first place. Leave that choice up to the user.

Not for a standard link at any rate, which is what the example
implied. A new window is warranted in some cases, e.g. a small
'help window' or poll result. These are items a user is going to
read and close quickly and is a fairly common idea.

A more specific problem I have with a target="_blank" is that it
works without JS, so you get a new full size browser window if JS
is not available. Those new windows should be strictly JS,
fallback to a standard link with no target when JS is
unavailable.