Read xls

Terry chan

How to write a C program to read xls file?
I just need the cell value, any example?

Thanks

Emmanuel Delahaye

Terry chan said:
How to write a C program to read xls file?

You have to write the code yourself. Do your best and post it here for a
review or for debugging.
I just need the cell value, any example?

No. If you have the specs, I don't see were the problem is.

John Devereux

Terry chan said:
How to write a C program to read xls file?
I just need the cell value, any example?

This is probably almost impossible for a mere mortal, certainly
impossible using only "standard C". However be aware that in Excel you
can do a "Save As" CSV file (comma separated variable). This is ASCII
text like:

"1234, 5678, 1234"

Etc. This can then be more straightforwardly interpreted (with standard C
functions).

Richard Heathfield

Emmanuel said:
You have to write the code yourself. Do your best and post it here for a
review or for debugging.

Actually, he'd be better off writing this in C++ using the Microsoft
structured storage API. Reading .XLS files in C ain't funny.

I suggest comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 for the OP's next port of
call.
No. If you have the specs, I don't see were the problem is.

Ah, but have you ever done this before? :)

Emmanuel Delahaye

In 'comp.lang.c' said:
Actually, he'd be better off writing this in C++ using the Microsoft
structured storage API. Reading .XLS files in C ain't funny.

Darn, what the heck is that XLS? Ah, Excel, all right...
I suggest comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 for the OP's next port of
call.

Ah, but have you ever done this before? :)

No, but the problem is that I read 'xms' instead of 'xls' ;-)

To the OP, please, discard my previous answer.