Reading email from Exchange

tshad

I can't seem to retrieve messages that are not in my mailbox from Exchange.

If I am reading mail from my Exchange server, I will get messages that are
in my inbox that have already been read but not deleted (outlook).

What I am trying to get are messages that haven't been read yet?

Is there a way to do this?

Here is the code I am using.

The problem with this code is that I am getting the very first email in my
inbox (back to 10/15/2004).

Dim tcpClient As TcpClient = New TcpClient
Dim hostName As String = "MyServer.com"
Dim userName As String = "tts"

Dim userPassword As String = "ac1234"
Dim messageNumber As String = "1"
Dim returnMessage As String
Dim sTemp As String

Try
tcpClient.Connect(hostName, 110)
Dim networkStream As NetworkStream = tcpClient.GetStream()
Dim bytes(tcpClient.ReceiveBufferSize) As Byte
Dim sendBytes As Byte()

networkStream.Read(bytes, 0, CInt(tcpClient.ReceiveBufferSize))

sendBytes = Encoding.ASCII.GetBytes("User " + userName + vbCrLf)
networkStream.Write(sendBytes, 0, sendBytes.Length)

sTemp = networkStream.Read(bytes, 0, CInt(tcpClient.ReceiveBufferSize))

sendBytes = Encoding.ASCII.GetBytes("Pass " + userPassword + vbCrLf)
networkStream.Write(sendBytes, 0, sendBytes.Length)

sTemp = networkStream.Read(bytes, 0, CInt(tcpClient.ReceiveBufferSize))

sendBytes = Encoding.ASCII.GetBytes("STAT" + vbCrLf)
networkStream.Write(sendBytes, 0, sendBytes.Length)

sTemp = networkStream.Read(bytes, 0, CInt(tcpClient.ReceiveBufferSize))

sendBytes = Encoding.ASCII.GetBytes("RETR " + messageNumber + vbCrLf)
networkStream.Write(sendBytes, 0, sendBytes.Length)

Thread.Sleep(500)

networkStream.Read(bytes, 0, CInt(tcpClient.ReceiveBufferSize))
returnMessage = Encoding.ASCII.GetString(bytes)
EmailContent.Text = returnMessage

sendBytes = Encoding.ASCII.GetBytes("QUIT" + vbCrLf)
networkStream.Write(sendBytes, 0, sendBytes.Length)

tcpClient.Close()
Catch ex As Exception
EmailContent.Text = "Could not retrieve email or your inbox is empty"
End Try

Thanks,

Tom