Reading result of a command

Venkat Kumar

Hi All,

I am using system("dir") to execute commands in Command Prompt.

I get the result(below) when I execute system("dir") command. I need to
store the result in an array.
I tried arr = system("dir") which stores true or false. Please throw
some light on this

Result:
===================================
Volume in drive E has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 603F-F8C6

Directory of E:\Temp

02/27/2009 07:05 PM <DIR> .
02/27/2009 07:05 PM <DIR> ..
03/03/2009 07:11 PM 65 t.rb
02/27/2009 06:22 PM 3,251 temp.rb
02/27/2009 07:05 PM 1,011 temp2.rb
3 File(s) 4,327 bytes
2 Dir(s) 22,208,159,744 bytes free
=====================================

Thanks,
Venkat

Brian Candler

Venkat said:
I am using system("dir") to execute commands in Command Prompt.

I get the result(below) when I execute system("dir") command. I need to
store the result in an array.

Use one of the forms of backticks:

result = `dir`
result = %x{dir}