Real One's Detection Script Strange

cwdjr

Real One has a page to copy on their site that detects if the browser
of a viewer of a page has Real One installed. The page is located at
http://www.expressresponse.com/cgi-...adeSubscription+OR+RealNetworksCompany+OR+Rea
NetworksWebsite&headerimg=head%5frealone%2egif&ems_product=1121&ems_product_category=6666&query=version+detection&.x=113&.y=15&template=sos.html
.. Hopefully this very long URL that I have pasted in directly can be
viewed by you. The problem is that when I copy the page exactly as
suggested, the version information is not printed. The case for
non-installation also is supposed to be tested. I have copied and
viewed this page on four major recent browsers, and it does not work
on any of them. I was very careful to exactly copy and paste from
opening to closing html, as they claim the blank spaces are important.
The code looks very strange, with what appear to be pairs ( and { that
appear to do nothing. I am wondering if they have used a crude
encoding to make the script difficult to modify. I am wanting to
detect RealOne so that I can link to a SMIL 2.0 page if it is present.
RealOne will display SMIL 2.0 on the 5 recent browsers that I have
checked it on. You can use special code for part of SMIL on an html
page for viewers on IE6. However this code does not work on any other
browser, so far as I know, except the slight modifications of IE6 used
by some ISPs such as MSN.

Randell D.

cwdjr said:
Real One has a page to copy on their site that detects if the browser
of a viewer of a page has Real One installed. The page is located at
http://www.expressresponse.com/cgi-...adeSubscription+OR+RealNetworksCompany+OR+Rea
NetworksWebsite&headerimg=head%5frealone%2egif&ems_product=1121&ems_product_
category=6666&query=version+detection&.x=113&.y=15&template=sos.html

Where did you get the idea that it was a Real One sponsored page?

I did a quick 'whois' and it seems its own by some company called Island
Data Corporation - are you sure they have some relationship with Real One?

cwdjr

Randell D. asks: "Where did you get the idea that it was a Real One
sponsored page?" I went to Real's home page and found the mentioned
page after going through several menus. The page has RealOne and their
logo at the top of the page as well as a sidebar that indicates Real.
Of course they could have a contractor for their pages.The URL given
has a problem. If you highlight everything down through html, copy,
and paste, it will work. I put up a temporary web page with a click on
link that hopefully will work. It is located at the URL
http://www.wtv-zone.com/cwdjrsxyz/aaaa.html . This avoids another near
epic length URL.