Recommendations for a 2D Graphics Library

CapCity

We're looking for a library to use in a Java application to create 2D
graphs. We've searched around but are not sure what will best suit our
needs.

What we need to do is visually show a collection of items (nodes) with links
between "related" items. Somewhat like a tree, except a node can have
multiple children, can have multiple parents, and generations are not fixed
(meaning Node A can be related to Node B; Node A can be realted to Node C;
Node B can be related to Node C).

We need to be able to label nodes and links, zoom in and out and have a
small degree of interaction (clicking a node will show detailed information
of that node).

Lastly, we prefer an open source library.

What do you use/recommend?

Thanks in advance.

shakah

We're looking for a library to use in a Java application to create 2D
graphs. We've searched around but are not sure what will best suit our
needs.

What we need to do is visually show a collection of items (nodes) with links
between "related" items. Somewhat like a tree, except a node can have
multiple children, can have multiple parents, and generations are not fixed
(meaning Node A can be related to Node B; Node A can be realted to Node C;
Node B can be related to Node C).

We need to be able to label nodes and links, zoom in and out and have a
small degree of interaction (clicking a node will show detailed information
of that node).

Lastly, we prefer an open source library.

What do you use/recommend?

Thanks in advance.

I've used dot for similar graphing needs in web apps:
http://www.graphviz.org/

Not sure if there's anything there for you as far as stand-alone Java
apps go, though.

softwarepearls_com

yFiles.com produce an awesome library. Unfortunately, it'll cost you
if your own application is commercial. Check out the yEd free demo
editor to get a taste of their lib's capabilities.

Abhijat Vatsyayan

CapCity said:
We're looking for a library to use in a Java application to create 2D
graphs. We've searched around but are not sure what will best suit our
needs.

What we need to do is visually show a collection of items (nodes) with links
between "related" items. Somewhat like a tree, except a node can have
multiple children, can have multiple parents, and generations are not fixed
(meaning Node A can be related to Node B; Node A can be realted to Node C;
Node B can be related to Node C).

We need to be able to label nodes and links, zoom in and out and have a
small degree of interaction (clicking a node will show detailed information
of that node).

Lastly, we prefer an open source library.

What do you use/recommend?

Thanks in advance.
JGraph is decent and has been around for sometime.
URL:http://www.jgraph.com/jgraph.html