record sound with python

Olivier Ravard

Hi everybody,

What is the best way to record sound from the sound card with
python ?

The method I am looking for must but portable. Actually, I use
snack tk package, but is there a best way ?

Thanks

O.R.

Jesper Olsen

Olivier Ravard said:
Hi everybody,

What is the best way to record sound from the sound card with
python ?

The method I am looking for must but portable. Actually, I use
snack tk package, but is there a best way ?

Thanks

O.R.

The standard library has no platform independent support for sound
input.

Snack is very easy to use, so if it fits your requirements I would not
look for anything else.

The main issue with Snack - at least last time I checked - is that the
python bindings do not make it easy to access the audio samples in
real
time as they are streaming. You have to use tk for this.

The portaudio package which was mentioned in another reply is
execelent
quality also, and relatively easy to use.
Portaudio itself is portable by design, and has been used on a large
number of platforms.
The python bindings may be less portable - I have not used them.

Jesper