Remote Boot Manager Scripting (Python)

diffuser78

I just started to write a small project in Python. I was wondering if
there can be something like remote boot manager.

I have to remotely start a computer. It has dual boot (WinXP and
Linux).
My remote computer is Linux which will send command to remotely boot
the other computer.

Can we write python script or some utility which would let us select
the Operating System to boot ? For example If we send parameter "WIN"
it boots into Windows and if we send "NIX" it boots into Linux.

Every help is appreciated.

Thanks

Dieter Maurer

I have to remotely start a computer. It has dual boot (WinXP and
Linux).
My remote computer is Linux which will send command to remotely boot
the other computer.

Can we write python script or some utility which would let us select
the Operating System to boot ? For example If we send parameter "WIN"
it boots into Windows and if we send "NIX" it boots into Linux.

Probably yes -- but it is rather a remote boot protocol
than a Python questions.

Your remote boot protocol must in some way specify which
os should be booted. When you implement the client site
boot protocol in Python and you know how to select the os,
then simply do it.

I can tell something about "grub" (GRand Unified Boot loader).
It can be configured to be controlled by a serial line.
In this case, the boot protocol would be very simple:
send "down" characters to the serial line until the correct
os is selected; then send a "return" to boot.

It would be trivial for a small Python script (with access to this
serial line) to implement this.

Dieter