render not rendering literal controls

geoff

I'm working on project where I find a control on a page and then
insert a literal control (a tag) directly before it with the
form.controls.addat method. I stepped through the code and used the
immediate window to show all the controls in the form controls
collection, and the literalcontrol that I added was there where it was
supposed to be. But, when the page displayed in the browser, it
wasn't in the html. This event is occurring after the containing
page's oninit and page load events have already fired. Is that why
it's not rendering it because the page's form control collection has
already been rendered to the page and adding more controls at this
point would have no effect? If so, how else could I do this? Thanks.

Scott

There are lots of places (and events) where you should be able to do this; the important thing is that it's done before the control tree is rendered; below is a sample.

Scott

<%@ Page language="c#" AutoEventWireup="false" trace="true" %>
<head>
<script language="C#" runat="server">
Control c = FindControl("Label1");
LiteralControl l = new LiteralControl("<strong>hello</strong>");
l.ID = "PreLit";
int i = 0;
foreach (Control child in c.Parent.Controls)
{
if (child == c)
{
c.Parent.Controls.AddAt(i, l);
break;
}
++i;
</script>
</head>
<asp:Label id="Label1" runat="server">Label</asp:Label></p>
<asp:Button id="Button1" runat="server" Text="Button"></asp:Button></p>

</form>