Repeating assertions in regular expression

candide

The regular expression HOWTO
(http://docs.python.org/howto/regex.html#more-metacharacters) explains
the following

# ------------------------------
zero-width assertions should never be repeated, because if they match
once at a given location, they can obviously be matched an infinite
number of times.
# ------------------------------

Why the wording is "should never" ? Repeating a zero-width assertion is
not forbidden, for instance :

Nevertheless, the following doesn't execute :
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/re.py", line 190, in compile
return _compile(pattern, flags)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/re.py", line 245, in _compile
raise error, v # invalid expression
sre_constants.error: nothing to repeat

\\b\\b and \\b{2} aren't equivalent ?

Surprisingly, the engine doesn't optimize repeated boundary assertions,
for instance

# ------------------------------
import re
import time

a=time.clock()
len("\\b\\b\\b"*100000+"\w+")
b=time.clock()
print "CPU time : %.2f s" %(b - a)

a=time.clock()
re.compile("\\b\\b\\b"*100000+"\w+")
b=time.clock()
print "CPU time : %.2f s" %(b - a)
# ------------------------------

outputs:

# ------------------------------
CPU time : 0.00 s
CPU time : 1.33 s
# ------------------------------

Your comments are welcome!

Devin Jeanpierre

\\b\\b and \\b{2} aren't equivalent ?

This sounds suspiciously like a bug!
Why the wording is "should never" ? Repeating a zero-width assertion is not
forbidden, for instance :

I believe this is meant to refer to arbitrary-length repetitions, such
as r'\b*', not simple concatenations like that. r'\b*' will abort the
whole match if is run on a boundary, because Python detects a
repetition of a zero-width match and decides this is an error.

A little OT:

I'm not really sure why Python does it this way. It's possible to
match r'\b*' fairly painlessly: instead of aborting the whole match on
a repeat of nothing, it can backtrack. So what should happen is that
the RE engine looks at \b* and does the following:

Is there one \b?
Yes.
Is there another \b?
Backtrack: You haven't read any more characters since the last match
in the * operation
# The result now is that we've matched '\b*' with exactly one '\b' and
can move on to the rest of the input

This is possible (I haven't tried implementing it, but it's e.g.
mentioned in Russ Cox's regular expression papers), you need to
augment the backtracking search with a notion of the regular
expression having "progress" so that you can require progress at
certain points. Otherwise you obviously get problems with nested stars
and things like that. (As it happens, Python's regex engine can't
handle nested stars either).

I'd be appreciative if anyone who works on re or regex can discuss
this a little.

-- Devin

MRAB

This sounds suspiciously like a bug!

I believe this is meant to refer to arbitrary-length repetitions, such
as r'\b*', not simple concatenations like that. r'\b*' will abort the
whole match if is run on a boundary, because Python detects a
repetition of a zero-width match and decides this is an error.
r"\b+" can be optimised to r"\b", but r"\b*" can be optimised to r"".
r"\b\b", r"\b\b\b", etc, can be optimised to r"\b".

So why doesn't it optimised?

Because every potential optimisation has a cost, which is the time it
would take to look for it.

That cost needs to be balanced against the potential benefit.

How often do you see repeated r"\b"?

Put simply, it doesn't occur often enough to be worth it. The cost
outweighs the potential benefit.

Devin Jeanpierre

Put simply, it doesn't occur often enough to be worth it. The cost
outweighs the potential benefit.

I don't buy it. You could backtrack instead of failing for \b+ and
\b*, and it would be almost as fast as this optimization.

-- Devin