Restructured Text from Java

Ravi

So I'm designing a wiki-type open source Content Managment System using
JSP and Subversion as the back-end, and I would like to use ReST for the
pages. The problem is I'm not sure how to access docutils from Java. Is
there a library somewhere that will let me convert ReST to html from
within Java? Will Jython work with docutils? Or should I kludge
something together around the command line?

I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Ravi

Steve Menard

Ravi said:
So I'm designing a wiki-type open source Content Managment System using
JSP and Subversion as the back-end, and I would like to use ReST for the
pages. The problem is I'm not sure how to access docutils from Java. Is
there a library somewhere that will let me convert ReST to html from
within Java? Will Jython work with docutils? Or should I kludge
something together around the command line?

I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Ravi

Jython will work ... if ReST is jython-compatible. for this is must be
python 2.1 level or thereabout, and not use any extensions.

Otherwise ... you can indeed much around the command-line and
Runtime.exec*(). This is asking for a lot of headache though ...

if you have the option, you can build a python program and publish its
interface either via SOAP or CORBA, then call that web-service from Java.

Lastly, you can interface python's VM at the native code level. you can
do it yourself if you know C programming, or you can use JPE
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/jpe/) if you can get it working.

I hope this helps,

Steve Menard

David Goodger

Ravi said:
> Will Jython work with docutils?

It should. Docutils is tested against Python 2.1, so it should work
with current Jython too. I don't know of anyone who has tested
Docutils with Jython, so I can't guarantee compatibility. Try it, and
if there are any issues, we'll certainly help to fix them.

--
David Goodger <http://python.net/~goodger>