Revision control for workspaces/projects

Dylan Nicholson

Given that many if not most Java IDEs don't make use of a file to keep
track of what classes are actually part of a project or workspace, and
instead simply include all the .java files in a given directory, how
do most folks manage revision control for projects? That is, say I
need to rewind back to an older version of a project which didn't
include a particular .java file: indeed, it wouldn't compile under
that version. How do I avoid having to manually delete files every
time I do this? And how would I be able to get an idea of what files
were added to the project at what points? The CVS-based revision
control systems I've looked at don't seem to support this very well.

Sanjay

The CVS-based revision
control systems I've looked at don't seem to support this very well.

Which CVS based system did you use? I use CVS and I can do all the
things you mentioned here.

Dylan Nicholson

Which CVS based system did you use? I use CVS and I can do all the
things you mentioned here.

Looks like I was using the wrong command. I'm using Eclipse
+Subversion and it seems that you can safely revert back to an older
version of a project (=directory), and the files will be deleted as
expected...just not by using the "Revert" command! I *think* the
version comparison is working, although I can't seem to be able to
select any two revisions of the project/workspace from the history and
do a compare...it will only let me compare the current version with a
particular revision (I can get a diff between any two revisions of a
given file inside the workspace just fine).

Sanjay

Looks like I was using the wrong command. I'm using Eclipse
+Subversion and it seems that you can safely revert back to an older
version of a project (=directory), and the files will be deleted as
expected...just not by using the "Revert" command! I *think* the
version comparison is working, although I can't seem to be able to
select any two revisions of the project/workspace from the history and
do a compare...it will only let me compare the current version with a
particular revision (I can get a diff between any two revisions of a
given file inside the workspace just fine).

Well, I am not really an expert using Subversion. I just recently
installed and added a project to it. I would suggest you use frontend
tools like TortoiseSVN (in case you are using Windows).