[RFC] PyMultimethods

davisn90210

I've written a small project that implements multimethods for python.
I'd like anyone who's interested to check out the code and give me
some feedback, such as what features they would like to see added,
what could be improved, etc. This is actually one of my first
projects I did with python. I did do quite a bit of refactoring from
its original form, but if you have suggestions on what could be made
more "pythonic", I'd like to hear them.

Documentation is a bit lacking at this point, but there is a "Getting
Started" page, as well as the beginnings of a tutorial. That's
probably your best bet for learning basic usage.

Homepage: http://pymultimethods.wiki.sourceforge.net
SourceForge Project: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pymultimethods/

There is no official "release" yet, so you will have to checkout the
code from the subversion repository using the following command:

svn co https://pymultimethods.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pymultimethods/trunk
pymultimethods

Alternatively, you may browse the repository at
http://pymultimethods.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pymultimethods/

Thank you for your comments,

--Nathan Davis

miller.paul.w

I've written a small project that implements multimethods for python.

Interesting. Were you aware of the article Guido wrote on multimethods
in python? ( www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=101605 )
Although I'm a decent python programmer and could surely figure it out
from the source, a file of example code showing how to use the module
is always a good thing. Also, you should consider submitting to pypi
if you haven't already ( www.python.org/pypi ).

davisn90210

Interesting. Were you aware of the article Guido wrote on multimethods
in python? ( www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=101605 )
Although I'm a decent python programmer and could surely figure it out
from the source, a file of example code showing how to use the module
is always a good thing. Also, you should consider submitting to pypi
if you haven't already ( www.python.org/pypi ).

In fact, Guido's article is what inspired me to start this project in
the first place. From a functional standpoint, my implementation
differs from Guido's on the following points:
1) Parameters also match on subtypes, rather than only the exact type
specified.
2) Support for keyword parameters.
3) Dispatch by value (currently quite rudimentary)

There is a "Getting Started" page in the wiki (http://
pymultimethods.wiki.sourceforge.net/Getting+Started), which contains
an example "Rock, Paper, Scissors" game that you can use to get
started. There's also a rough tutorial at http://pymultimethods.wiki.sourceforge.net/Tutorial,
which covers more features.

I have many things planned for this project, one of which is
submitting to PyPI, but I'd rather let it season a little first.

Thanks for your comments,

--Nathan Davis