RMI: multiple codebase and inheritance

Andystriker

Hi, a question about RMI (I've at the start of my study)

I've found the feature of dynamic class downloading in RMI (using
RMIClassloader in RMI internals, I think).

Suppose I have a codebase defined as

-Djava.rmi.server.codebase="http://site1/A/ http://site2/B/"

I have a client that, according to this codebase, download classes from A
and B.

The question: Can a class x located in B have relationships with a class y
in A (x uses objects of y type)? In particular, can x extend y? Can the
RMIClassloader, in the client call, "resolve" an inheritance relationship
between remote locations?

Thanks, Andrea

EJP

Andystriker said:
Hi, a question about RMI (I've at the start of my study)

The question: Can a class x located in B have relationships with a class y
in A (x uses objects of y type)? In particular, can x extend y? Can the
RMIClassloader, in the client call, "resolve" an inheritance relationship
between remote locations?

I believe so; a single URLClassLoader is set up with all the URLs in
your codebase string, so all the URLs are treated as part of the same
codebase inside the same class loader.