RMI Vs RMI over IIOP

JScoobyCed

Hi,

I am developping an application using RMI to perform operation remotely.
There are a lots of different "operations", and the way we are doing is
just fine.
Now, I got a developper this morning that proposed to use RMI over IIOP.
I was unable to provide a valid reason why use/not to use it.

Is there a comparative of RMI Vs RMI over IIOP, providing the pros and
cons of each ?
Is the complexity of RMI over IIOP really higher than RMI ?

Thanks.

Dag Sunde

JScoobyCed said:
Hi,

I am developping an application using RMI to perform operation remotely.
There are a lots of different "operations", and the way we are doing is
just fine.
Now, I got a developper this morning that proposed to use RMI over IIOP.
I was unable to provide a valid reason why use/not to use it.

Is there a comparative of RMI Vs RMI over IIOP, providing the pros and
cons of each ?
Is the complexity of RMI over IIOP really higher than RMI ?

It is slightly more complex, yes... But that is not the main issue.

I've been working for the last year now removing all CORBA (read IIOP)
layers of our systems, because it is a pain in the butt when it comes
to proxies, firewalls, routers, etc, as long as you don't have complete
control of those. And one usually doesn't, at customer-sites.

I've turned most of our old Corba servers into web-services instead, and
the performance-loss in neglectible as long as the network-layer is
there anyway.