RMIREGISTRY dying on Windows Server 2003.

Bill Williams

We have JRE version 1.5.0_01 installed on a client's Windows Server 2003
Standard Edition system.

We are using rmiregistry to have all of our java applications register a
single method which will allow a maintenance program to kill a specific
java application in a controlled manner. Each program starts and
registers its method and after that no other interaction takes place
with rmiregistry except to execute the kill command. Our java
applications are basically daemons that normally are not stopped once
they are running.

The rmiregistry program will run for a few days and then will suddenly
die with no kind of error (at least nothing I'm aware of). Once this
occurs, our maintenance program cannot terminate our java applications
and we have to use a windows utility to figure out which java program to
kill and do it manually.

Is there some kind of timeout in rmiregistry that tells is to terminate
after a certain amount of inactivity or is this a bug?

Thanks