rspec-2.2 is released!

David Chelimsky

### rspec-core-2.2.0

[full =
changelog](http://github.com/rspec/rspec-core/compare/v2.1.0...master)

* Deprecations/changes
* --debug/-d on command line is deprecated and now has no effect
* win32console is now ignored; Windows users must use ANSICON for =
color support
(Bosko Ivanisevic)

* Enhancements
* Raise exception with helpful message when rspec-1 is loaded =
alongside
rspec-2 (Justin Ko)
* debugger statements _just work_ as long as ruby-debug is installed
* otherwise you get warned, but not fired
* Expose example.metadata in around hooks
* Performance improvments (see =
[Upgrade.markdown](https://github.com/rspec/rspec-core/blob/master/Upgrade=
markdown))

* Bug fixes
* Make sure --fail-fast makes it across drb
* Pass -Ilib:spec to rcov

### rspec-mocks-2.2.0

[full =
changelog](http://github.com/rspec/rspec-mocks/compare/v2.1.0...v2.2.0)

* Enhancements
* Added "rspec/mocks/standalone" for exploring the rspec-mocks in irb.

* Bug fix
* Eliminate warning on splat args without parens (Gioele Barabucci)
* Fix bug where obj.should_receive:)foo).with(stub.as_null_object) =
would =
=20
pass with a false positive.

### rspec-rails-2.2.0

[full =
changelog](http://github.com/rspec/rspec-rails/compare/v2.1.0...master)

* Enhancements
* Added stub_template in view specs

* Bug fixes
* Properly include helpers in views (Jonathan del Strother)
* Fix bug in which method missing led to a stack overflow
* Fix stack overflow in request specs with open_session
* Fix stack overflow in any spec when method_missing was invoked
* Add gem dependency on rails ~> 3.0.0 (ensures bundler won't install
rspec-rails-2 with rails-2 apps).

Clifford Heath

David said:
* debugger statements _just work_ as long as ruby-debug is installed
* otherwise you get warned, but not fired

Great news David, but I have a question.

I've always found that when stopping at a debugger statement,
the debugger's "where" statement shows no stack trace. This
is because the debugger didn't installed its hook until it
was called, which is too late. The work-around I found was
to call Debugger.start somewhere in global scope, but after
ruby-debug had been required.

The workaround is painful, and I was considering asking that
the "-d"/"--debugger" option should do it... not possible now
that you've removed the option!

Is there any way to get the initial stack trace to work correctly?
Perhaps add "-d" again to support this case?

Clifford Heath.

Ryan Davis

* Performance improvments (see =
[Upgrade.markdown](https://github.com/rspec/rspec-core/blob/master/Upgrade=
markdown))

from the Upgrade page:
Made several small optimizations that all add up to a considerable =
improvement in performance. Using a simple benchmark:
=20
generate 5000 example groups,
each with one example,
each with one passing expectation

Unfortunately, this isn't enough of a benchmark. You really should to =
generate both the positive and negative cases as error handling often =
incurs a lot of extra overhead.=20

You can see my numbers for positive and negative (against rspec 2.0 and =
1.x, and a bunch of other test frameworks) here:

http://www.zenspider.com/~ryan/report.1000.html