ruby 1.8 on MAC OS X

Van Jacques

Has anyone posted an installer package for ruby 1.8 for MAC OS X (10.2.8
in my case). I hope so. Is anyone working on this? If so, where?

Dave Thomas

Has anyone posted an installer package for ruby 1.8 for MAC OS X
(10.2.8
in my case). I hope so. Is anyone working on this? If so, where?

If you install the developer tools, it builds out of the box.

Cheers

Dave

Richard Kilmer

For 10.3.x, does this mean install the xcode CD?

Yes...the xCode CD. As a bonus, the xCode editor syntax highlights
Ruby code! That and the 1.1 xCode update (available via Software Update
after you install xCode) actually lists "Better Ruby Syntax
Highlighting"
in the list of changes...cool!

digibren

Has anyone posted an installer package for ruby 1.8 for MAC OS X (10.2.8
in my case). I hope so. Is anyone working on this? If so, where?

Hi, I have a 1.8.0 binary installer with modules like readline built
available at:
http://homepage.mac.com/digibren/FileSharing1.html

I will try to update it for 1.8.1 soon.

On 10.2 I don't believe ruby 1.8 builds ootb, it sticks on a couple of
modules, gdbm, and dl I believe (though these are optional, dl at
least is pretty handy). on 10.2 it doesn't build readline support ootb
either.

cheers,
Brennan

(psst: check the archives next time) :)

Van Jacques

Hi, I have a 1.8.0 binary installer with modules like readline built
available at:
http://homepage.mac.com/digibren/FileSharing1.html

I will try to update it for 1.8.1 soon.

On 10.2 I don't believe ruby 1.8 builds ootb, it sticks on a couple of
modules, gdbm, and dl I believe (though these are optional, dl at
least is pretty handy). on 10.2 it doesn't build readline support ootb
either.

cheers,
Brennan

(psst: check the archives next time) :)

Brennan;

I finally got around to installing your package (along with a lot of other
junk I wish I hadn't-or at least waited till later).

Thanks for the Ruby4Mac disk-image--this should be a lot of help
to MAC users who want to upgrade. It was one of those easy click
install things. I suggest you announce whenever you have
a package like this for MAC users. Though I have no idea how much
work it is, as I have never done it.

I have a question though. It installed in a directory called supp.

supp/lib/ruby seems to be where most of it is.

There is also a lot of other stuff like gettext which I don't understand.

I foolishly went install crazy and installed Fink and XFree86 (or XDarwin)
at the same time as your ruby4Mac package.
Fink put most of its stuff in a dir called sw, but I didn't explore where
things were until I installed all this, so now I'm not sure what installed
what where--esp. the X package.

Anyway, even though I have X installed (which I don't really need)
I am going to use the Terminal for a while, and it still runs ruby 1.6.7.

How do I get it to run ruby 1.8? I would like to keep 1.6.7
as backup for a while, till I'm sure things are ok with 1.8.
I also installed some things like extmath for ruby which need 1.8.

Do I move 1.8 to where 1.6 is, and move 1.6 somewhere else?
Or can I change the path or create a link to ruby 1.8?

I expose my ignorance and lack of experience with UNIX here,
but I guess one learns by just doing these things.
(psst: check the archives next time) :)

Do you mean the ruby-talk archives, or just to do a search of
ruby for the MAC on the web. I did both (a while ago), and didn't see
anything like your package. I guess I missed something.

Again, thanks for your package and help.

Van Jacques