ruby-1.9, sqlite3 and qt4 on windows

Martin DeMello

I'm thinking of developing an app with ruby 1.9, sqlite3 and qt4 which
I'd like to distribute on windows, ideally as a packaged executable,
though if it works against the one-click installer that'd be fine too.
Anyone with experience to share? Sqlite3 is the only hard requirement,
but I'm very reluctant to go back to ruby 1.8, and Qt would be a plus
because this is intended to be a companion to an existing Qt app.

martin

Rajinder Yadav

Martin said:
I'm thinking of developing an app with ruby 1.9, sqlite3 and qt4 which
I'd like to distribute on windows, ideally as a packaged executable,
though if it works against the one-click installer that'd be fine too.
Anyone with experience to share? Sqlite3 is the only hard requirement,
but I'm very reluctant to go back to ruby 1.8, and Qt would be a plus
because this is intended to be a companion to an existing Qt app.

You might want to check out ruby2exe, I haven't used this but it looks like a
good possibility for what you're trying to do.

http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/rubyscript2exe/index.html

If you're going to add database support you might want to think about using
ActiveRecord, this will make it easier for you to switch to another database
later. There is also RubyDBI you might want to look at. Unless there is a need
to use specific feature of sqlite3, you might want to use a more flexible
database interface than sqlite3-ruby.

GUI wise, there is wxWidgets which takes a lot of ideas from MFC Windows
programming, you could check that project out, for Ruby you would then be
working with WxRuby

http://www.wxwidgets.org/
http://wxruby.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl

I have not used either of there, but you can compare it with QT4

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav

http://DevMentor.org
Do Good ~ Share Freely

Martin DeMello

Yes, i'm definitely using an orm :) Debating the relative merits of
sequel and datamapper at the moment, just because i'd like to see what
other than activerecord is out there. But the sqlite3 backend needs to
work and googling gave me mixed results for how seamless that was on
windows. Also i've used rubyscript2exe before, but the homepage says
nothing about ruby 1.9.

I'm interested in qt because i want look-and-feel compatibility with
an existing C++/Qt app, but if that's a no-go on windows my fallback
options are either Wx or JRuby+Glimmer. Also, there's Rawr
[http://rawr.rubyforge.org/], which is a great incentive to explore
JRuby.

martin

Rajinder Yadav

Yes, i'm definitely using an orm :) Debating the relative merits of
sequel and datamapper at the moment, just because i'd like to see what
other than activerecord is out there.

Martin, if you discover something about squel or datamapper when
comparing to datamapper, I would like to know just because I am
interested or curious. Maybe you can post your find on this thread,
thanks.

[...]

That should read when comparing it to ActiveRecord.

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav

http://devmentor.org
Do Good! ~ Share Freely

vishal jethani

STOP SENDIN ME THESE FCUK ALL FORWARDS>>>
=20
Date: Thu=2C 22 Oct 2009 22:54:54 +0900
From: (e-mail address removed)
Subject: ruby-1.9=2C sqlite3 and qt4 on windows
To: (e-mail address removed)
=20
I'm thinking of developing an app with ruby 1.9=2C sqlite3 and qt4 which
I'd like to distribute on windows=2C ideally as a packaged executable=2C
though if it works against the one-click installer that'd be fine too.
Anyone with experience to share? Sqlite3 is the only hard requirement=2C
but I'm very reluctant to go back to ruby 1.8=2C and Qt would be a plus
because this is intended to be a companion to an existing Qt app.
=20
martin
=20
=20
New Windows 7: Simplify what you do everyday. Find the right PC for you.
http://windows.microsoft.com/shop=