Ruby binding for OpenDX?

Phil Tomson

I've googled and bladed, but to no avail...

Is anyone working on (or have) a Ruby binding for OpenDX?

OpenDX is IBM's open source visualization software package.
See http://www.opendx.org/

There is already a Python binding done with SWIG, viz,

http://people.freebsd.org/~rhh/py-opendx/

Wow, OpenDX looks cool.

What if you just 'borrow' the SWIG interface files (*.i) from the Python
version and work from there? Most of the work would already be done
it would just be a matter of 'Rubyfying' it.

I just downloaded the Python bindings. It looks like the main changes
would need to be made in DXL/DXL_additions.i and DXL/DXL_typemaps.i
The bulk of what needs to be done is to change the Python
exception handling to Ruby exception handling.

Phil

Tom Copeland

Wow, OpenDX looks cool.

What if you just 'borrow' the SWIG interface files (*.i) from the Python
version and work from there? Most of the work would already be done
it would just be a matter of 'Rubyfying' it.

I just downloaded the Python bindings. It looks like the main changes
would need to be made in DXL/DXL_additions.i and DXL/DXL_typemaps.i
The bulk of what needs to be done is to change the Python
exception handling to Ruby exception handling.

ruby-opendx.rubyforge.org is still available....

Tom

Bil Kleb

Bil said:
I'm going to use this as a pathfinder project to see if I can
do this from work. (This will not be easy.)

Actually, once I managed to get past the initial sentinel and on
to the person that actually wrote our software release guidelines,
it was surprisingly quick and easy to gain permission.

I'll apply for ruby-opendx.rubyforge.org once I figure out which
license I to use...

Regards,