Ruby book

abe

Greetings

What is good book for ruby leading into RoR
I am an experienced programmer 20+ years exp

sgtaylor62

Greetings

What is good book for ruby leading into RoR

I am an experienced programmer 20+ years exp

As you say, it is best to learn the Ruby language itself. Depending on your personality, you may or may not enjoy the classic "Why's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby" (http://mislav.uniqpath.com/poignant-guide/book/).

After that, http://rubyonrails.org is a good place to jump from.

I am also a programmer of over 25 years, and I fell in love with Ruby about four years ago.

Pat Johnson

I particularly liked Learning to Program (Through Ruby Colored Glasses). This is a real good intro to Ruby book. Great examples and program creation tutorials. By the end of the book you should have a pretty good understanding of how everything works.

Exiquio Cooper-Anderson

Greetings

What is good book for ruby leading into RoR

I am an experienced programmer 20+ years exp

I personal enjoy The Ruby Programming Language for a 30,000 ft overview. The Pickaxe is an excellent resource, but I'd skip the first part unless you like drudging slowly through tutorials. Finally, I'd checkout Ruby Best Practices to get a feel for idiomatic Ruby and certain conventions.