ruby editor component

Roeland Moors

I'm thinking of writing an IDE for a microcontroller.
This IDE will be written in ruby/GTK.
I also need an editor in this IDE.
Are there any existing editor components I can use?
Maybe a bonobo component?

I could write one from scratch, but that seems a waste of time.

I'm new to all this, is there someone with tips, links?

If such a component doesn't exists, what would be the best way to
make it? (I don't mean how to create the editor, but how to make
it as a component)

thanks,

Roeland Moors

Vincent Isambart

I'm thinking of writing an IDE for a microcontroller.
This IDE will be written in ruby/GTK.
I also need an editor in this IDE.
Are there any existing editor components I can use?

You could maybe use Scintilla: http://scintilla.sourceforge.net/
I don't know if there is any Ruby binding for it, but doing one in C
should not be very hard.

Joao Pedrosa

Hi,

--- Roeland Moors said:
I'm thinking of writing an IDE for a
microcontroller.
This IDE will be written in ruby/GTK.
I also need an editor in this IDE.
Are there any existing editor components I can use?
Maybe a bonobo component?

I could write one from scratch, but that seems a
waste of time.

I'm new to all this, is there someone with tips,
links?

There are a couple of components that you can use:
- GtkSourceView - which doesn't have a port to Windows
yet (I think). Mono-sharp uses it, for example.
- Scintilla - which has ports to Windows, though one
of them is for Fox. I'm not aware of a port (to
Windows) that uses Ruby/GTK. FreeRIDE uses it, for
example.

I've got syntax coloring for Ruby from Ruby/GTK by
using the AEditor Ruby Lexer:
http://geocities.com/canalruby/ruby_editor.html
GtkSourceView should work very similarly to it, 'cause
both use TextView.

I'm slowly developing this new Ruby Editor, though the
priority is to develop the Gtk_Rules library. :)
If such a component doesn't exists, what would be
the best way to
make it? (I don't mean how to create the editor, but
how to make
it as a component)

thanks,

Roeland Moors

Cheers,
Joao

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Roeland Moors

There are a couple of components that you can use:
- GtkSourceView - which doesn't have a port to Windows
yet (I think). Mono-sharp uses it, for example.

This look nice. Not a lot of features, but this may be an
advantage. I don't need a windows port at the moment.
- Scintilla - which has ports to Windows, though one
of them is for Fox. I'm not aware of a port (to
Windows) that uses Ruby/GTK. FreeRIDE uses it, for
example.

Looks like it has a lot of features.

Maybe a good idea to make ruby bindings that support both.

Thanks for the tips.

Michael Geary

Regarding GtkSourceView vs. Scintilla, be sure to note the licensing
difference. GtkSourceView is GPL, while Scintilla has a BSD/MIT style
license. This may make a big difference depending on your project.

FWIW, Scintilla is very nice. It's the editor used in Komodo, which I like a
lot.

-Mike

Roeland Moors

Regarding GtkSourceView vs. Scintilla, be sure to note the licensing
difference. GtkSourceView is GPL, while Scintilla has a BSD/MIT style
license. This may make a big difference depending on your project.

FWIW, Scintilla is very nice. It's the editor used in Komodo, which I like a
lot.
The only disadvantage are the missing ruby bindings.
I'm thinking of making those, not sure yet.

Curt Hibbs

Roeland said:
The only disadvantage are the missing ruby bindings.
I'm thinking of making those, not sure yet.

If you do decide to do this, you might want to take a look at FreeRIDE's
bindings. At least you'd have a working starting point.

Curt