Ruby in JavaScript, all projects are dead?

Alexey Petrushin

Hello, recently I've examined some of the projects that trying to bring
ruby into the browser.

http://hotruby.yukoba.jp - JavaScript Ruby Bytecode VM
http://github.com/jessesielaff/red - JavaScript compiler and interpreter

It seems that they are pretty finished and working but there's no
activity since 2008.
So, are they are dead? And if so maybe there's some other projects of
this kind that's alive and active?

Thanks.

Alexey Petrushin

Hmm, I'm not agree. The main goal of Ruby in JavaScript (for me) is

1 absence of the mental shift
2 better syntax
3 better OO support
4 better STD lib

The js.class solves only one from this problems - the 3th.

By the way there is also another project - CoffeeScript
http://jashkenas.github.com/coffee-script/
It solves 2, 3 and partially 4, but not the first one.

Intransition

Hmm, I'm not agree. The main goal of Ruby in JavaScript (for me) is

1 absence of the mental shift
2 better syntax
3 better OO support
4 better STD lib

The js.class solves only one from this problems - the 3th.

By the way there is also another project - CoffeeScripthttp://jashkenas.g= ithub.com/coffee-script/
It solves 2, 3 and partially 4, but not the first one.

Maybe not, but lord, coffee script syntax is so much nicer than
javascript syntax. I wish coffee script would catch on in a big way,
get some native implementations and displace javascript altogether. I
appreciate javascript as a language, but having used Ruby, the verbose
syntax is just mind numbing.

Alexey Petrushin

It's not a critique, I just pointed out that the syntax is a little
different than Ruby.

CoffeScript has very nice syntax, a lot better than JS. And seems it is
very active. Golden mean between the purity and practices.

timr

I believe Google has a summer of code project to bring Ruby to
browsers via their Native Client project.

http://code.google.com/p/nativeclient/

I think JavaScript is fine, but would prefer Ruby if it were a choice
in the browser. Hopefully Google will come through and get it to
happen.
Tim