Ruby-Nuby forum

Kirk Haines

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 00:17:32 +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote
Food for thought: Why don't we school 12th graders in the same room
at the same time as 1st graders?

Because when one has a full classroom of student and a single teacher, the
teacher can not deliver content appropriate to the whole range of students
in the alotted time.

It's not analagous to ruby-talk, though.

Ruby-talk is n classrooms with n1 teachers and n2 students, where n1 is
approximately equal to n2. And these classrooms are self-segregating so
that the 12th graders don't need to participate in the classes on spelling 3
letter words and counting unless they, perhaps, feel like helping to be one
of the teachers, while the 1st graders can stay out of the calculus classes,
unless the 1st grader is precocious and interested in calculus.

Kirk Haines

David A. Black

Hi --

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 00:17:32 +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote

Because when one has a full classroom of student and a single teacher, the
teacher can not deliver content appropriate to the whole range of students
in the alotted time.

It's not analagous to ruby-talk, though.

Ruby-talk is n classrooms with n1 teachers and n2 students, where n1 is
approximately equal to n2. And these classrooms are self-segregating so
that the 12th graders don't need to participate in the classes on spelling 3
letter words and counting unless they, perhaps, feel like helping to be one
of the teachers, while the 1st graders can stay out of the calculus classes,
unless the 1st grader is precocious and interested in calculus.

And 12th graders sometimes realize they were absent on a really
important day back in 3rd grade and have to make up for it. And
everyone's a student, and almost everyone is a teacher. And some of
the students are twice or more the age of some of the teachers, who
are also students, and who are in some cases good friends or
professional colleagues of the teachers, or was that the students...?
:)

David

Brian Wisti

--- Alexey Verkhovsky said:
Not yet. We will go ahead if most of the community here is in favor
of
it and the forum will be referred from www.ruby-lang.org. There is no
value in creating a BBS that nobody knows about :)

Alex

Don't wait for approval from the whole community, because you're not
going to get it. There will always be some folks who think that all
communication about Ruby should be through a single central list. I
understand their motivation, but these folks have to realize that a
newbie is going to be seriously intimidated by a high-traffic list
discussing everything from basic Ruby questions to the fundamental
underpinnings of object-orientation and occasional digressions about
the One True Operating System.

I think that a Newbie list and site is a great idea, and have been
pondering the same thing for a while. I say "go for it", and folks who
want to learn or teach will be drawn to it like moths to a flame.

Or something like that :)

-- Brian Wisti

http://coolnamehere.com/

Bill Kelly

There will always be some folks who think that all
communication about Ruby should be through a single central list.

Here's a weird idea . . .

What if the nuby mailing list was (behind the scenes) just a
filter for ruby-talk ?

So that all messages posted to the nuby list appeared in
ruby-talk with [NUBY] or whatever in the subject?

And conversely, only/all such messages so-prefixed would be
delivered to the subscribers of the nuby list?

(Such prefixes could even be stripped when delivered to the
nuby list subscribers...)

Well - just a thought :)

Regards,

Bill

David A. Black

Hi --

Don't wait for approval from the whole community, because you're not
going to get it. There will always be some folks who think that all
communication about Ruby should be through a single central list.

I agree with the first sentence (as per one of my earlier posts), but
not with the second. No one's talking about "all communication about
Ruby" taking place here on this list. I mentioned the IRC channel;
others have mentioned wikis, and so on. I think the reservations that
have been raised have to do with the merits of a nuby-helping-nuby
environment, as well as the fact that this list is historically a home
for nubies as well as experienced users.
I understand their motivation, but these folks have to realize that
a newbie is going to be seriously intimidated by a high-traffic list
discussing everything from basic Ruby questions to the fundamental
underpinnings of object-orientation and occasional digressions about
the One True Operating System.

Fear and intimidation keep coming up. I just hate to see that. It's
so much not what the regulars on this list have tried hard to
cultivate :-(

David

Brian Wisti

--- "David A. Black said:
Hi --

I agree with the first sentence (as per one of my earlier posts), but
not with the second. No one's talking about "all communication about
Ruby" taking place here on this list. I mentioned the IRC channel;
others have mentioned wikis, and so on. I think the reservations
that
have been raised have to do with the merits of a nuby-helping-nuby
environment, as well as the fact that this list is historically a
home
for nubies as well as experienced users.

Well, I wasn't referring to you *specifically*, just overgeneralizing
to make a wobbly point :)

Fear and intimidation keep coming up. I just hate to see that. It's
so much not what the regulars on this list have tried hard to
cultivate :-(

Very little fear and intimidation is deliberately introduced to the
list. I'm just thinking about the positive experiences I had with
Python Tutor list. People felt comfortable asking stupid questions,
because they were safe from being flooded by acronyms, buzzwords, and
terminology that provided more information than they were ready for.
Most folks would only be subscribed to the list for a few months, and
would then move on to the much noisier official Python newsgroup.
However, a few would stick around to provide answers for future nervous
newbies.

ruby-talk is a great forum. It's just that it's a forum for
*everything*, while some folks may be more comfortable with a forum
specifically for learning Ruby.

I do like the [NUBY] filtering scheme, though. :)

-- Brian Wisti
http://coolnamehere.com/

James Edward Gray II

I think the reservations that have been raised have to do with the
merits of a nuby-helping-nuby environment, as well as the fact that
this list is historically a home
for nubies as well as experienced users.

Oh, if that's your complaint, I disagree. ;)

Being with a group of your peers is almost always a good thing, I
think. If Nuby A asks a question and Nuby B chimes in with a wrong
answer, that's still a positive thing, in my opinion. You now have two
people thinking about something and trying to work through it.
Eventually, the right answer will be brought about (by themselves, us
helping, or whatever) and both will learn something. Both will also be
qualified to answer it next time as questions generally recycle.
That's just a super crude example too.

Reading on in the thread, Brain Wisti's description of Python Tutor
matches what I remember from Perl Beginners to the letter. Funny that
we both would have such identical memories of different lists.

Perhaps you might want to browse one of these groups, because I have a
feeling they are quite different from what your expecting.

James Edward Gray II

Brian Wisti

--- James Edward Gray II said:
Reading on in the thread, Brain Wisti's description of Python Tutor
matches what I remember from Perl Beginners to the letter. Funny
that
we both would have such identical memories of different lists.

Likewise for me with the Perl Beginner's list, as well as an HTML
beginner's list from way back when.

-- Brian Wisti

http://coolnamehere.com/

gabriele renzi

David A. Black ha scritto:

Fear and intimidation keep coming up. I just hate to see that. It's
so much not what the regulars on this list have tried hard to
cultivate :-(

well, but it's obvious. To get the idea that the list is friendly you
have to look at the list for some time.
And most of the time you won't even notice that silly things have a good
acceptance, cause you can't understand they're silly.

I grow the idea that a comp.lang.ruby.nuby ng+list would be a good Thing
(TM). It is something where people would feel allowed to post question
since they just surfed on ruby-lang.org.
Plus it is somewhat otpmistic about the traffic on c.l.r growing too
much for a single list/ng ;)

David A. Black

Hi --

Oh, if that's your complaint, I disagree. ;)

With which one? :) Actually the second point -- that ruby-talk has
always been, and still is, a home for nubies -- is the more important
for me; I have enough invested in this list, and have worked hard
enough over the years to make people feel welcome here, that I am sad
to see it talked about as frightening, intimidating, etc.
Being with a group of your peers is almost always a good thing, I
think.

I agree; that's why I've always liked it here. I love the fact that,
even as a nuby, my peers were understood to include experienced Ruby
programmers. I know I'm making it sound more utopian than it is. But
what I like about it -- and the Ruby world in general -- is that it's
not built on the heavily stratified, "I'm-a-worm-and-you're-a-wizard"
(or vice versa), aggressively pyramidal model that characterizes so
many other communities. I've always had a personal distaste for that
kind of thing, and therefore (among other reasons) been very happy in
the Ruby world.

Anyway -- if you think your project will help you, you should do it.
I hope we'll see you and your colleagues around here too, and also on
IRC.

David

Robert Klemme

David, first of all thank you for your elaborate expression what I think I
intended to say - but maybe less clear and well formulated!

David A. Black said:
Hi --

With which one? :) Actually the second point -- that ruby-talk has
always been, and still is, a home for nubies -- is the more important
for me; I have enough invested in this list, and have worked hard
enough over the years to make people feel welcome here, that I am sad
to see it talked about as frightening, intimidating, etc.

Maybe it's not really ruby-talk that's frightening; it could be the label
(it's not called "ruby-nuby" or "comp.lang.ruby.beginners") or some of the
more esoteric subjects. I don't think that efforts of you and others to
make this a comfy place for everybody failed. Indeed, I'd say they
succeeded - I know *far* more hostile newsgroups.

It may very well be that a certain amount of shyness is indeed good, because
it encourages folks to search for resources on their own or think again
about the issue at hand before posting. That might well keep too trivial
and easy to find stuff off the list. (I'm not an expert at newsgroup
psychology, but that's my impression.)
I agree; that's why I've always liked it here. I love the fact that,
even as a nuby, my peers were understood to include experienced Ruby
programmers. I know I'm making it sound more utopian than it is. But
what I like about it -- and the Ruby world in general -- is that it's
not built on the heavily stratified, "I'm-a-worm-and-you're-a-wizard"
(or vice versa), aggressively pyramidal model that characterizes so
many other communities. I've always had a personal distaste for that
kind of thing, and therefore (among other reasons) been very happy in
the Ruby world.

I couldn't agree more!
Anyway -- if you think your project will help you, you should do it.
I hope we'll see you and your colleagues around here too, and also on
IRC.

Personally I like Bill's filter idea. Can anybody comment on the
feasability?

Kind regards

robert

jim

* James Edward Gray II <[email protected]> [2004-09-08 03:41:43 +0900]:

Seems to me that we can't see the forest for the trees.
If the OP post was not getting a response, then I would say,
yeah, go ahead, there is a need for a nuby group.

But, instead, I see competent and gracious posts from some
of the world's best rubyists.

I don't understand the motivation. Sure, it's been done elsewhere, but
is it really needed here?

gabriele renzi

(e-mail address removed) ha scritto:
* James Edward Gray II <[email protected]> [2004-09-08 03:41:43 +0900]:

Seems to me that we can't see the forest for the trees.
If the OP post was not getting a response, then I would say,
yeah, go ahead, there is a need for a nuby group.

But, instead, I see competent and gracious posts from some
of the world's best rubyists.

I don't understand the motivation. Sure, it's been done elsewhere, but
is it really needed here?

the motivation is not that he wont' get his answer, is that he won't
feel comfortable asking. He'd have to wait to understand that the list
will be friendly, while being in a nuby-oriented group he would feel
authorized to ask simple questions from the beginning.
An in the end is not an aut aut, we would still have nuby questions here
and probably complex questions there..

David Ross

You aren't going to get a valid response off this
mailing list. Everyone has thier own opinion. Just
build the site and see how it turns out. --David Ross

--- gabriele renzi said:
[...]

http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush

David Ross

That is a very good idea. I have a few thoughts to add
on to your idea.

1. Have the new ruby programmer list completely
sepereate from the ruby-talk email system.

2. all mail gets delivered to thier list unless it is
prefixed with the magic [RT] keyword - (NUBY) is just
too harse mentally.

3- the filter picks out the [RT]'ed emails and
delivers here, the replies to the [RT] emails get
redelivered here and at the new ruby programmer list.

You have a good idea, it just needed to be stretched
out more.

--David Ross

--- Bill Kelly said:
There will always be some folks who think that all
communication about Ruby should be through a
single central list.

Here's a weird idea . . .

What if the nuby mailing list was (behind the
scenes) just a
filter for ruby-talk ?

So that all messages posted to the nuby list
appeared in
ruby-talk with [NUBY] or whatever in the subject?

And conversely, only/all such messages so-prefixed
would be
delivered to the subscribers of the nuby list?

(Such prefixes could even be stripped when delivered
to the
nuby list subscribers...)

Well - just a thought :)

Regards,

Bill

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

James Edward Gray II

2. all mail gets delivered to thier list unless it is
prefixed with the magic [RT] keyword - (NUBY) is just
too harse mentally.

Are you suggesting we have to add [RT] to every message we DON'T want
going to the Nuby list? I don't see that happening. People new to
Ruby Talk certainly wouldn't know the trick, by way of example.

I would think the correct system would be just the opposite. Mails
titled with [NUBY] (or whatever) should be the ones that DO jump lists.
Then if the gateway between lists ensures that all messages are moved
from the Nuby list to here and gain a [NUBY] if needed in the transfer,
replies should work as expected and posted should rarely have a need to
force special behavior for their messages.

James Edward Gray II

David Ross

your second accessment is what I meant.

ex.

- I sent email to ruby.newprogrammers, it goes to that
list only
- I send another one with "[RT] help me" to
ruby.newprogrammers, it goes to the Ruby-talk list as
well
- I send emails all day to ruby-talk, they stay there,
if I post a reply to one which is prefixed by [RT], it
goes to the ruby.newprogrammers list

--David Ross

[...]

Zach Dennis

I am trying to get the following to work:

dir = Dir.new( d ) if( File.directory?( d=$*.shift ) )
puts d
puts dir

d always outputs correctly, but dir always outputs nil. I tried

puts d if( File.directory?( d=$*.shift ) )

and d is outputted correctly. Why doesn't my first statement work?

Thanks,

Zach

gabriele renzi

David Ross ha scritto:
You aren't going to get a valid response off this
mailing list. Everyone has thier own opinion. Just
build the site and see how it turns out. --David Ross

I agree on the 'so it they will come', not on the 'you won't get valid
response'.
I like the brainstorms in c.l.r ;)

Zach Dennis

Zach said:
I am trying to get the following to work:

dir = Dir.new( d ) if( File.directory?( d=$*.shift ) )
puts d
puts dir

d always outputs correctly, but dir always outputs nil. I tried

puts d if( File.directory?( d=$*.shift ) )

and d is outputted correctly. Why doesn't my first statement work?

Thanks,

Zach
Please ignore...i realized I was passing in a nonexistent directory.

Zach