ruby odbc

Uwe Kubosch

Hi all!

I am trying to use ActiveRecord migrations from Linux on an MS SQL
Server database running on windows. I am following the instructions on

http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/HowtoConnectToMicrosoftSQLServerFromRailsOnLinux

I have successfully set up freetds and unixODBC, and I can connect fine
using tsql and isql.

When I try connecting using ruby I get the following:

[root@pippin laptop_scripts]# irb
irb(main):001:0> require 'odbc'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> require 'dbi'
=> true
irb(main):003:0> dbh = DBI.connect('dbi:ODBC:database_name', 'username', 'password')
NoMethodError: undefined method `default_attributes' for #<ODBC::Driver:0xb7f6ade4 @attrs={}, @name=nil>
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:420:in `connect'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:215:in `connect'
from (irb):3
irb(main):004:0>

Checking the ruby odbc documentation, the default_attributes method is not defined, and the Driver class inherits from Object.

Can anybody help tell me what to do to connect using DBI?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Uwe

Uwe Kubosch

Did you install Ruby ODBC and Ruby DBI ODBC driver after testing on tsql
and isql, like the page mentions ?

Thank you for answering.

It turns out I had forgotten to add the --with=dbd_odbc option when
running the setup config script during the Ruby DBI installation. When
I added the option, everything worked.

Thanks again for answering.

Uwe