Ruby socket communications break with PGP 9 on Windows

Jim McMaster

I installed PGP Desktop 9.0 from http://www.pgp.com, on a Windows XP SP2
system. At that point, any ruby process that tried to connect to a socket
hung. I tried webrick through rails, and gem install.

I reported this to PGP support, and got the following response:

New postPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:40 am

Post subject: Reply with quote
I downloaded Ruby and reproduced exactly what you
describe.

It looks like Ruby has the same problem that older versions
of Perl had with LSPs (the layered service provider method
that PGP and others use to hook into the network
stream). These Unix crossover apps like to use sockets
as filehandles, which current win32 non-IFS LSPs can't
support.

One solution is to modify the application source win32_socket
to look for a winsock2 provider that does support IFS (not just
the default one you find) as Perl has already done:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/perl.perl5.changes/browse_thread/thread/
88c55d0a3617d307/8d08c536c9fde57b?q=%2Bperl+%2BLSP+%2BIFS&rnum=1&hl=en#8d08c
536c9fde57b

I noticed that the ruby source code is based on a variant of the
same Intergraph win32 socket source file, so it should be easy to
modify rb_w32_socket in much the same way.

http://www.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ruby/win32/win32.c?rev=1.103.2.2
7;content-type=text%2Fplain

The preferable solution of course is to support IFS in the
LSP directly. But Microsoft has not released information
about doing this on MSDN just yet. They have already
released it at a developer conference however:

https://www.dynamicevents.com/WFPD.asp

In the meantime, I may try to submit a Perl-like patch
to the Ruby developers.

I am quite new to Ruby, and do not know if this is the correct forum for
reporting this. If it is not, could someone please let me know?

Thank you.