Ruby, Windows, and Matlab

SER

Hello Rubyvolk,

I'm having a frustrating time trying to get a basic Matlab binding
working for Ruby on Windows, and I'm hoping that somebody will have
some ideas for moving me forward on this.

First, a caveat: I loath Windows, and am expecting that most of my
troubles are due to the fact that some part of my brian required for
Windows to make sense to me is retarded.

What I'm attempting to do is compile a Matlab binding on Windows. The
binding works fine on *nix machines, but I keep encountering failures
when I try to get it compiled on Windows.

Matlab has its own make process (mbuild) which works with a few
compilers (cl and lcc). In the process of trying to get this working,
I've discovered that (a) the main pre-compiled Ruby distribution uses
cl, and (b) Ruby won't compile with lcc. (b) is especially depressing,
because Matlab likes lcc, and I can barely get cl to compile anything
at all. Ancillory is that it is either impossible or a royal pain in
the tuckus to force mkmf to use mbuild.

Before I go into any more details, then, I'd like to know if anybody
knows whether it is possible to get mkmf to use a different compiler
than whatever was used to compile Ruby. In other words, to compile
Ruby bindings, is it *required* to use the compiler that was used to
compile the Ruby interpreter?

--- SER

Shashank Date

hi,

In other words, to compile
Ruby bindings, is it *required* to use the compiler
that was used to compile the Ruby interpreter?

I believe the one-click installer was built using VC++
7.0 and if that is true then yes, to expect your
compiled Ruby bindings to work with the Ruby
interepreter you have to compile it using that
compiler. I know that Ruby compiled with VC++ 6.0 was
also compatible with MSYS+MingW but I am not sure how
far it is true now.

-- shanko

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Shashank Date

hi,

In other words, to compile
Ruby bindings, is it *required* to use the compiler
that was used to compile the Ruby interpreter?

I believe the one-click installer was built using VC++
7.0 and if that is true then yes, to expect your
compiled Ruby bindings to work with the Ruby
interepreter you have to compile it using that
compiler. I know that Ruby compiled with VC++ 6.0 was
also compatible with MSYS+MingW but I am not sure how
far it is true now.

-- shanko

http://mail.yahoo.com

Mohammad Khan

Depending of various severity levels Syslog have the following methods

debug
info
notice
warning
err
alert
emerg
crit

I am proposing to have an alias for the following methods,
err => error
emerg => emergency
crit => critical

Thanks
Mohammad

Nikolai Weibull

* Mohammad Khan said:
I am proposing to have an alias for the following methods,
err => error
emerg => emergency
crit => critical

I second that. Fine, that's what the log-levels may be called, but we
don't have to keep with a sad tradition of obfuscating the simple,
nikolai

Curt Hibbs

Shashank said:
hi,

I believe the one-click installer was built using VC++
7.0 and if that is true then yes, to expect your
compiled Ruby bindings to work with the Ruby
interepreter you have to compile it using that
compiler. I know that Ruby compiled with VC++ 6.0 was
also compatible with MSYS+MingW but I am not sure how
far it is true now.

The one-click installer was built with vc++ 7.1. Theoretically I MinGW build
is compatible, but I'm not sure how true that is in practice as there can be
subtle differences. For example, the FreeRIDE debugger works only when the
installer is compiled with vc++ 7.0 or 7.1. When its compiled with vc++ 6.0
the FreeRIDE debugger does not work. Don't know why???

Curt

Kaspar Schiess