rubygems 0.9.5 not finding SSL package

Mike Berrow

I am trying to install rails on xubuntu with the line
sudo gem install rails --include-dependencies

It terminates with this error:
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Exception)
SSL is not installed on this system

I have these packages installed
libssl0.9.8
libssl-dev
openssl 0.9.8e-5ubuntu3.1
libopenssl-ruby
libopenssl-ruby1.8

I built ruby 1.8.6 from source here (as per advice elsewhere).
$ ruby -v
$ gem -v
0.9.5
$ uname -a
Linux xubuntu 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Sun Oct 14 23:05:12 GMT 2007 i686
GNU/Linux

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-- Mike Berrow

Mike Berrow

Has anyone completed a fresh install of ruby/rubygems/rails on ubuntu
using the the new 0.9.5 rubygems ?

-- Mike Berrow

Eric Hodel

I am trying to install rails on xubuntu with the line
sudo gem install rails --include-dependencies

It terminates with this error:
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Exception)
SSL is not installed on this system

I have these packages installed
libssl0.9.8
libssl-dev
openssl 0.9.8e-5ubuntu3.1
libopenssl-ruby
libopenssl-ruby1.8

I built ruby 1.8.6 from source here (as per advice elsewhere).
$ ruby -v
$ gem -v
0.9.5
$ uname -a
Linux xubuntu 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Sun Oct 14 23:05:12 GMT 2007
i686
GNU/Linux

Any ideas?

At that point, RubyGems is doing the equivalent of:

ruby -e "require 'openssl'"

I'm researching why RubyGems now seems to require OpenSSL, but haven't
discovered the cause yet.

Austin Ziegler

At that point, RubyGems is doing the equivalent of:

ruby -e "require 'openssl'"

I'm researching why RubyGems now seems to require OpenSSL, but haven't
discovered the cause yet.

Signed gems are done with SSL.

-austin

Eric Smith

Eric said:
This appears to be happening regardless of signing of gems.

The problem is that the default installation of ruby 1.8.6 from source
isn't picking up the OpenSSL libraries, etc... during make or make
install.

To fix this problem, you need to do the following:

Assuming your source is at /usr/src/ruby-1.8.6

cd /usr/src/ruby-1.8.6/ext/openssl
sudo ruby extconf.rb
sudo make
sudo make install

Now you should be able to install any gem.

Eric M. Smith

Eric Hodel

The problem is that the default installation of ruby 1.8.6 from source
isn't picking up the OpenSSL libraries, etc... during make or make
install.

No.

RubyGems should work with or without OpenSSL. If RubyGems is not
working when you don't have OpenSSL, it's a RubyGems bug.