Running a script as if it were a Windows executable?

Alek Trishan

I have a perl script that I can run by opening a command window and typing
perl.exe myscript.pl

I would like to create an "executable" file (but not a desktop shortcut)
that, when clicked on, would execute that command.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

John Bokma

Alek Trishan said:
I have a perl script that I can run by opening a command window and typing
perl.exe myscript.pl

I would like to create an "executable" file (but not a desktop
shortcut) that, when clicked on, would execute that command.

Can anyone help?

PAR::packer has the pp tool which packs perl (the exe) and your script
and modules into a single exe file. This file you can also copy to a
different computer and run. Since it includes perl the resulting exe is
quite large (over 1 MB).

No idea if there's something better, but I've used pp for years and most
of the time it just works.

Alek Trishan

Very easy. You just need to associate the file type *.pl with your Perl
interpreter. Normally the Setup process for your Perl system will do
that automatically.
But if the association is broken, then right-click on a *.pl file,
select "Open With" and re-create the association to the Perl
interpreter.

Brilliant!!! Thanks so much. :)

Scott Bryce

I have a perl script that I can run by opening a command window and
typing perl.exe myscript.pl

I would like to create an "executable" file (but not a desktop
shortcut) that, when clicked on, would execute that command.

Windows still supports batch files, does it not?

Alek Trishan

Windows still supports batch files, does it not?

Yes, it does.

However, associating .pl with perl.exe means that I do not need a batch
file as a workaround.

Brian Helterline

And if your script doesn't require the cmd window, you can associate it
with wperl.exe (same version of perl but doesn't show the cmd window).
I believe ActivePerl associates .plw files with this by default.
Handy for scripts that just run in the background or scripts that
use Tk (or similar)

George Mpouras

Στις 10/3/2014 19:00, ο/η Alek Trishan έγÏαψε:
Yes, it does.

However, associating .pl with perl.exe means that I do not need a batch
file as a workaround.

In case you did not know, if you add the .PL to your %PATHEXT% system
environment e.g.

echo %PATHEXT%

.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.PL

you can run your "program.pl" by simple issuing program without the
extension !

Tomasz Konojacki

Hi!

There is simple tool included with both ActivePerl and Strawberry Perl,
it's called pl2bat.

Cheers,
Tomasz