running asp.net project on distributed servers

ozcankanbur

How can I run an asp.net project on distributed servers? (WEB SERVER /
APPLICATION SERVER / DATABASE SERVER)
My asp.net project runs with ui.dll,biz.dll and data.dll so you know
all the assemblies must be in bin directory on the web server.
but data.dll must run on another server. data.dll access oracle
database because Web server and Database server on different network.
So how can I run data.dll on another server as Application Server with
Web server?

WEB SERVER (UI)
===========================
- ui.dll
- biz.dll <-------- |

APPLICATION SERVER |
=========================== |
- data.dll <----------
- oraclehelper.dll
- oracleclient.dll

Thanks

offwhite

I assume you mean this is a server farm of several web servers and at
least 1 backend Oracle database.

Do you really need to place the data assembly (data.dll) onto a
separate server? If all that does is open database connections to the
remote Oracle database server you can have that done from each server
in the web farm.

Where you need to be careful is how you handle sessions. With a web
farm you will have a load balancer and most decent load balancers will
allow you to maintain sticky sessions. Ask your hardware vendor about
a load balancer with sticky session support.

Otherwise, if you need to somehow run this data component on a separate
server you will need explain how you communicate with it using a remote
server. If it simply runs as a Windows Service and allows Remoting
connections into it, you should be able to get that going fairly
easily. What are your remote endpoints for this architecture?

Brennan

John Timney \(MVP\)

Well you could always wrap your data.dll as a webservice and access it from
each of your application servers bizz.dll files.

Regards

John Timney (MVP)