Running Python web apps on shared ASO servers?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Gilles, Aug 12, 2012.

  1. Gilles

    Gilles Guest

    Hello

    I use A Small Orange (ASO) as my web provider. Asking the question in
    their forum so far didn't work, so I figured I might have a faster
    answer by asking here.

    Support replied this in an old thread: "Just a CGI option. We don't
    have enough users to justify adding mod_python support."
    http://forums.asmallorange.com/topic/4672-python-support/page__hl__python
    http://forums.asmallorange.com/topic/4918-python-fcgi-verses-mod-python/

    Does it mean that ASO only supports writing Python web apps as
    long-running processes (CGI, FCGI, WSGI, SCGI) instead of embedded
    Python à la PHP?

    If that's the case, which smallest tool would you recomment to write
    basic apps, eg. handling forms, etc.?

    Thank you.

    Gilles, Aug 12, 2012

  2. It looks as if you could use CGI to activate Python scripts.
    There seems to be no mod_python" support.

    You should probably read the mentioned forum resources to learn
    details about the Python support provided by your web site hoster.

    Dieter Maurer, Aug 12, 2012

  3. Gilles

    Gilles Guest

    Yup, but so far, no answer, so I figured someone here might now.

    Those articles seem to indicate that CGI isn't a good solution when
    mod_python isn't available, so it looks like I'll have to investigate
    FastCGI, WSGI, etc.

    http://docs.python.org/howto/webservers.html
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/219110/how-python-web-frameworks-wsgi-and-cgi-fit-together

    Thank you.

    Gilles, Aug 12, 2012
  4. Gilles

    Tim Golden Guest

    Just to make a point: one person's "isn't a good solution" is another
    person's "works perfectly well for me". Modern servers are really quite
    quick: the cost of starting up a Python process and generating an HTML
    page can be really quite low. I've certainly had low-traffic production
    websites running for years on CGI without anyone complaining.

    If speed was an issue or if I thought that I'd be getting more requests
    than I am then I'd consider a more sophisticated solution.

    TJG

    Tim Golden, Aug 12, 2012
  5. Gilles

    Gilles Guest

    Thanks Tim for the input. I'll try the different solutions available
    and see if CGI is good enough for my needs.

    Gilles, Aug 13, 2012
  6. Gilles

    Gilles Guest

    I need to get the big picture about the different solutions to run a
    Python web application.

    From what I read, it seems like this is the way things involved over
    the years:

    CGI : original method. Slow because the server has to spawn a new
    process to run the interpreter + script every time a script is run.

    mod_python : Apache module alternative to CGI. The interpreter is
    loaded once, and running a script means just handling the script

    mod_wsgi : mod_python is no longer developped, and mod_wsgi is its new
    reincarnation

    FastCGI and SCGI: Faster alternativees to CGI; Run as independent
    programs, and communicate with the web server through either a Unix
    socket (located on the same host) or a TCP socket (remote host)

    Is this correct?

    Thank you.

    Gilles, Aug 16, 2012
  7. On 8/16/2012 7:01 AM Gilles said...

    I'm sure there's no single correct answer to this.

    Consider (python 2.6]:

    emile@paj39:~$ mkdir web
    emile@paj39:~$ cd web
    emile@paj39:~/web$ cat > test.html